Goldfish has red bump and white dot appearing.

Supermassive

On 1/23/2024 at 10:55 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu I found a store in Canada that sells API E.M. Erythromycin and API General Cure. Are those proper medications? Would they be good to have on hand if I cant get other meds?

E.M erythromycin has the seem active ingredient as maracyn and  general cure has the seem active ingredient as paracleanse praziquantel and metronidazole  would order it just so you have some to have to hand 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 5:30 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu So I'm still reading ammonia everyday but today I measured 5ppm of nitrate along with the ammonia. How come I'm getting ammonia and nitrate? I also have been testing nitrite for the past week and its been zero every time including today.

I would expect to see nitrite if you still seeing ammonia then nitrate is this the first time you have registered nitrates in this tank 

On 1/26/2024 at 6:53 PM, Colu said:

I would expect to see nitrite if you still seeing ammonia then nitrate is this the first time you have registered nitrates in this tank 

Yeah its the first time I've measured nitrates but I have only been checking about once a week. I wasn't checking often because the nitrite has been zero.

I dumped in a whole bunch of stability yesterday. I was getting a little frustrated that its not cycling so I added like 50mls. Maybe that caused it?

On 1/27/2024 at 12:00 AM, Supermassive said:

Yeah its the first time I've measured nitrates but I have only been checking about once a week. I wasn't checking often because the nitrite has been zero.

I dumped in a whole bunch of stability yesterday. I was getting a little frustrated that its not cycling so I added like 50mls. Maybe that caused it?

It could be as you starting to see nitrate that a good thing monitor daily to see if you get any nitrite keep up with water changes if your still seeing ammonia what level is ammonia getting to before your doing a water change 

On 1/26/2024 at 7:06 PM, Colu said:

It could be as you starting to see nitrate that a good thing monitor daily to see if you get any nitrite keep up with water changes if your still seeing ammonia what level is ammonia getting to before your doing a water change

Okay I will keep testing everything daily. Ammonia has been around 0.25-0.5ppm before I water change.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 5:43 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu For the past few days his stool has been very dark. It looks black. I know in people that is a sign of intestinal bleeding so I'm a bit concerned. Is that normal? I haven't changed his diet.

It can be a sign of intestinal bleeding what colour is it usually have noticed any changes in behaviour 

On 1/27/2024 at 6:59 PM, Colu said:

It can be a sign of intestinal bleeding what colour is it usually have noticed any changes in behaviour

Usually its a lighter brown/tan color. He does seem to be more agitated. When I'm doing water changes and whatnot he seems more scared of my movements. He is still eager to eat though.

I think the swelling the has gone down and I haven't seen any new abscesses coming up in the past few days.

On 1/28/2024 at 12:22 AM, Supermassive said:

Usually its a lighter brown/tan color. He does seem to be more agitated. When I'm doing water changes and whatnot he seems more scared of my movements. He is still eager to eat though.

I think the swelling the has gone down and I haven't seen any new abscesses coming up in the past few days.

It's difficult to no for sure if it is intestinal bleeding there's not a lot you can do other than monitor for now if the swelling going down and there's no new abscesses hopefully his immune system is starting to fighting off the infection given time he might recover 

• Thanks 1

Almond leaves will help as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties and a good varied diet I feed my comet goldfish repashy super gold and hikari saki gold  pellets and some frozen blood worms and daphnia I add duck weed as well for some extra greens in there diet and keeping stable water parameters will help @Supermassive

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

@Colu I got a bunch of almond leaves and I got more erythromycin. I never used the last of the Maracyn I have either. I wanted to get the tank cycled before I used it again.

He still seems active and alert. Hes eating aggressively. It doesn't seem like he is declining in health anymore. The abscesses are way less numerous. I've only seen one or two in the past couple weeks.

What would recommend I do for treating him at this point?

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 5:40 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu I got a bunch of almond leaves and I got more erythromycin. I never used the last of the Maracyn I have either. I wanted to get the tank cycled before I used it again.

He still seems active and alert. Hes eating aggressively. It doesn't seem like he is declining in health anymore. The abscesses are way less numerous. I've only seen one or two in the past couple weeks.

What would recommend I do for treating him at this point?

I would keep stable water parameters add the almond leaves the more the better and just monitor as long as you see him continue to improve I wouldn't do another course of erythromycin unless he starts to get worse 

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2024 at 8:41 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu I put 10 large catappa leaves in. Should I be concerned about it lowering my PH drastically? My KH is around 70-80ppm.

I don't think it will have much of an effect on your pH your KH is high enough when I have used them I have noticed only a slight change from 7.0 to -6.8 in my pH

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2024 at 4:32 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu Do you know how long those black areas from the ammonia will last? When should I notice them improving? It looks about the same as it did a week ago.

It can take upwards of 4 weeks in some cases

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Colu He seems to have gotten worse. He isn't getting the abscesses anymore but that is about the only good thing. He keeps getting more and more swollen/bloated. The black areas from the ammonia still look pretty much the same. Today he was just sitting on the bottom in the corner of the tank and didn't come to get food like he normally would. He didn't move at all until I changed his water. He was a little more active after I changed his water so I gave him some food and he tried to eat it but kept spitting it out. Today I also noticed he is breathing heavily.

I tested ammonia, PH, and nitrate. 0 ammonia. PH was normal. Nitrate was a bit high but acceptable, ~30ppm. I changed about 60% of his water after I tested.

20240301_131440[1].jpg

20240301_131414[1].jpg

20240301_131406[1].jpg

On 3/1/2024 at 6:52 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu He seems to have gotten worse. He isn't getting the abscesses anymore but that is about the only good thing. He keeps getting more and more swollen/bloated. The black areas from the ammonia still look pretty much the same. Today he was just sitting on the bottom in the corner of the tank and didn't come to get food like he normally would. He didn't move at all until I changed his water. He was a little more active after I changed his water so I gave him some food and he tried to eat it but kept spitting it out. Today I also noticed he is breathing heavily.

I tested ammonia, PH, and nitrate. 0 ammonia. PH was normal. Nitrate was a bit high but acceptable, ~30ppm. I changed about 60% of his water after I tested.

20240301_131440[1].jpg

20240301_131414[1].jpg

20240301_131406[1].jpg

It's not looking good with the pineconing of the  scales that can be caused by organ failure parasitic infections internal bacterial usually when you get pineconing even with treatment  most of the time it doesn't have a good out come treatment i would usually recommend is a combination of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons kanaplex and metroplex as you don't have access to these medication it's a difficult one to treat if you think he's suffering I would humanely euthanize him with clove oil 

1000000136.png

1000000118.png

Edited by Colu

On 3/5/2024 at 7:07 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu He started eating again and he seems relatively active when I go to check on him. I don't want to give up on him yet. 

Besides the 1tbsp salt per 2 gallons what else should I do? Should I keep using the catappa leaves?

Yes keep using the catappa leaves and salt and monitor if you can source kanaplex or metroplex that what i would follow up with I no that will be very difficult to get holed of  in Canada 

• Thanks 1

@Colu People are somehow selling both of them on Ebay in Canada. They are both around $50 each for the 5 gram container. Do you know how many treatments that will do? I cant find that information on Seachems website. And if you could only get one which one would you pick?