What to do with C-shaped or arch piece of driftwood

tetra

Recently, I bought some driftwood on Amazon and I got 2 pieces of driftwood, one looks average, and the other is a C-shaped piece, or an arch, I’m not a big fan of the look, even if it’s on its side, laid flat, upside-down, etc. 

Maybe could I flip it on a certain direction to make a look better? And add some moss?

I let it float in the tank all night cause it didn’t sink after letting it boil. But right now it looks like it sunk down. But unfortunately landed on some dwarf sagittaria. I’ll fix it later, but for now, I don’t know if I want to use this piece.

IMG_1150.jpeg

• Like 1

I cut the shorter branch off and then arch it as mentioned above.

You basically can't to much with a big Y shape piece unless you're making a slingshot or something, but having different lengths and branch cuts gives the wood some interest visually. It looks "more natural" as opposed to one cut across two branches in the original piece.

I would cut it here if the piece is just a really bizarre shape to use. The small piece can be used in a fry tank or just used elsewhere as a detail piece.

IMG_1150.jpeg.26c8ed4854feca59c055d782b6672a33_1.jpeg.8d7ce1ee623ca3fa88783460de62e473.jpeg

The way I use my curved piece of wood is to either wrap it around rocks that fit the shape and it looks like roots growing across the surface of the tank, very common technique, or as a lean-to style setup against a wall or larger hardscape.  This gives the fish some cover as well as something to swim through.

Thanks for giving me some options, I actually managed to find a spot where I’m happy with, I stood it up like an arch but faced it diagonally, facing towards the right panel of the tank. Eventually will add Anubias to it. But before I found the perfect spot, I couldn’t find a spot for it because of how the tank was decorated, so that meant I had to rescape the tank. But after it was done I was pretty happy with it. The corys are happy too now because of the new hiding spots.

• Like 1