Infurosa in shrimp tank?

Allan

It's hard to tell, but they look big for infusoria as you can see them on the foreground as well as on the plants and the background. By chance do you have daphnia? The infusoria in my tank are generally super tiny. You can really only notice them due to their movement and I don't think you would be able to spot them in the background. Regardless if you had infusoria or daphnia in your tanks, I doubt it would hurt them unless the population spiked really heavily in which case you should feed less. 

• Like 1

There's two ways to view this..... Maybe three.

1. The shrimp eat things like that, but the video shows them in the water column, not really shrimp friendly food!

2. The colony of whatever it is can crash and spike ammonia and nitrates which is very unhealthy for a shrimp colony

3. Adding something like white clouds or nano rasboras would eat that (hopefully) and then go ahead and help to control the population. That gives you the ability to keep micro crustaceans in check and that can ensure nothing is taking away food from the shrimp.

Essentially, this can happen a lot when you're not doing enough cleaning on a tank. As mentioned in #2 it is a concern from some perspectives and shrimp keepers.

@modified lungdo you know what this little critter might be?

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 10:10 PM, Allan said:

I was hoping to put rice fish fry in the tank. But they aren’t breeding yet.

Good luck with the breeding, once they start they don't seem to start. I've been finding 1-3 fry everyday for the last few weeks. It's been interesting. 

@Allan based on the movement and size I’m going to say they look like some type of daphnia.  I can video one of my daphnia cultures if you would like. Or simply check out you tube. 

EDIT ADD

My Moina (daphnia relative) culture

If they are present in those numbers for a duration of time they probably need to be there for the health of your tank. Just as snails and shrimp clean up excess on surfaces, daphnia clean up excess nutrients in the water column. 

Once their food source runs out they die off. If you would like then gone sooner increase water change percentage and frequency as well as cleanup of excess debris. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 11:49 AM, Allan said:

thanks @Guppysnail I agree they look like daphnia.  I'll start off by feeding less, it's only 5 shrimp and a crayfish in the tank.  Not counting the snails and daphnia.  

If you have any other tanks with fish when you do water changes run that water through a fine shrimp net. Don’t waste the daphnia. It’s terrific fish food