Termite tenting

AAE

I need to have my home tented.  I have a 40 gallon plexiglass aquarium with African cichlids and cats.  I read a thread from 1/14/21 titled "Termite Control".  The advice was to remove the fish in a tub to another location, with sponge filter or air stone, seal the tank, and return the fish after the tenting was done.  I was wondering if there is any new advice since that time or if this is still the best practice.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:02 PM, AAE said:

remove the fish in a tub to another location, with sponge filter or air stone, seal the tank, and return the fish after the tenting was done.  

I personally would follow this advice. 

I would also toss the biomedia in tub also from the filter if a hang on back was used. 

@AAE, I was just reading this interesting thread, passing by, for lack of better terms and saw your responses. I'd like to first off say, welcome on behalf of everyone here, and would like to point out 'Forum survival tips' just so your topics don't go unanswered. People might miss your response if you don't TAG them, to tag, type the '@' symbol and type the persons user/screen name. (EX: @Kaiju) and instead of using short one word answers, there is a small icon that lets you react to peoples posts! (Bottom right corner of peoples comments/posts). Saving the time of just adding another extra text! Welcome again, and hope to see more posts from you! 🙂

You could also quote btw wich is like tagging but just for a certain part of what a person said. There is a + symbol for that under a person's comment text. 

Edited by Kaiju

There was another thread where someone didn't have the opportunity or choice to move the tank and the advice was to throw towels over everything and tarp it as best you can and try to cover it.  Even if you remove everything, I might STILL recommend that as well to protect the tank itself from contamination.  It's going to be a nightmare and it's a tough situation.  I'm sorry for what you're going through!

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2023 at 10:22 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

There was another thread where someone didn't have the opportunity or choice to move the tank and the advice was to throw towels over everything and tarp it as best you can and try to cover it.  Even if you remove everything, I might STILL recommend that as well to protect the tank itself from contamination.  It's going to be a nightmare and it's a tough situation.  I'm sorry for what you're going through!

You know what I would try to do is take out all the equipment, buy a window seal kit. It’s something that keeps out drafts in the winter time. It’s like a clear plastic that you apply with provided double-sided tape all around a window, then you use a hair dryer on it and all the wrinkles come out of it and it’s tight as a drum. I would do that over the top of the tank.

IMG_6418.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 12/3/2023 at 6:58 PM, Kaiju said:

@AAE, I was just reading this interesting thread, passing by, for lack of better terms and saw your responses. I'd like to first off say, welcome on behalf of everyone here, and would like to point out 'Forum survival tips' just so your topics don't go unanswered. People might miss your response if you don't TAG them, to tag, type the '@' symbol and type the persons user/screen name. (EX: @Kaiju) and instead of using short one word answers, there is a small icon that lets you react to peoples posts! (Bottom right corner of peoples comments/posts). Saving the time of just adding another extra text! Welcome again, and hope to see more posts from you! 🙂

You could also quote btw wich is like tagging but just for a certain part of what a person said. There is a + symbol for that under a person's comment text. 

@Kaiju, I am a novice to discussion groups so thanks for your tips!  And I love the quote.  There is a great Charles Schultz museum in Santa Rosa CA if you have never been - I am guessing you might like it! 

@Kaiju, I am a novice to discussion groups so thanks for your tips!  And I love the quote.  There is a great Charles Schultz museum in Santa Rosa CA if you have never been - I am guessing you might like it! 

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea, great suggestion!  I am also now recalling from tenting we did 10 years ago that we were given special plastic bags to put food into - the bags prevented the gas from getting to the food.  So perhaps I could pull out the equipment, place a bag over the top of the tank, and then seal it by the method you describe.

@Kaiju, as I fumble about learning how to respond to messages on this forum, I want to thank you for your tips.  I replied before but am not sure I did that correctly.  I think I am on the right track now.  😀

@nabokovfan87, thanks for your suggestion and sympathy.  The tank sits on a hearth that needs to be painted.  I am waffling between keeping the tank going (because I like the fish and feel guilty at the prospect of sending them to the fish store) and breaking down the tank and starting over (so I can properly paint the hearth and re-stain the fish tank stand).  Well, I guess this is part of what makes this hobby interesting.

On 12/4/2023 at 9:55 AM, AAE said:

@nabokovfan87, thanks for your suggestion and sympathy.  The tank sits on a hearth that needs to be painted.  I am waffling between keeping the tank going (because I like the fish and feel guilty at the prospect of sending them to the fish store) and breaking down the tank and starting over (so I can properly paint the hearth and re-stain the fish tank stand).  Well, I guess this is part of what makes this hobby interesting.

a 20-30 gallon rubbermaid tub makes a good temporary tank . you can stuff everything in it, fish/water/plants/substrate, etc while you paint your hearth, and the tanks stand. when done you have a nice storage tub, or emergency fish holder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My only other thought that I haven’t seen mentioned yet is you could run some carbon in the tank as a preventative measure as carbon removes “things” from the water. 

Personally, I would be removing fish and any filtration I could, using the window covering on the tank, tarping the tank over the window covering, and running carbon in the tank. That combo seems about as good as one can get.