Tale of the Cheap Tank Stand

sairving

I like Aqueon forge. It has two sizes. Each size can accommodate a smaller tank on the bottom. The ones I have hold a 10g and a 5.5g. There is a stand one size up from that. For larger tanks, some folks are using garage shelves. But they need a little decor or something to look nice inside the home. Maybe wrap vines around the tall beams.

image.png.2e2a88ff1ec10ec78403e885de0bbd29.png

There is a panel above the bottom tank that flips up for maintenance. It is flipped up in the photo.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 2:47 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

+1 for decoration skills!
+1 for the cool artwork on the wall

Nicely done!

My stand is made by a company called sauder.  I really like it.  They used to be sold under the aqueon brand name.  The issue I ran into is that for some weird reason stands are made to match the tank by a few millimeters.  I don't know why the tolerances for the top wood panel have to be so tight.  That being said, I got an "aqueon" stand because my tank is from aqueon.  Just be really careful buying a top fin stand (or marineland or someone else) and then going to put on your tank from the sale. You really have to check measurements and make sure it will fit!  Each brand is making things ever so slightly different as a means to make you use their lids and other items.

https://www.amazon.com/Sauder-416443-Select-Aquarium-Stand/dp/B07D4MQS3T/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I picked up one of the Top Fin Stands. It's made by Sauder. My main gripe was when putting it together, two of the screw holes for the feet stripped easily. 

Ended up going to Menards for larger screws.

The cabinet doors were difficult to adjust as well. On the plus side, there is a foot in the middle of the cabinet. 

I don't know why some of the stands have only a few millimeters around the tank. The UNS 60s has about an inch or clearance in the front and back. And a few inches on each side. PXL_20231126_211626094_MP.jpg.02a3d6fb9c2fb7e6c98ec52f1dbf5b9b.jpg

Edited by sairving
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/29/2023 at 5:04 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I like Aqueon forge. It has two sizes. Each size can accommodate a smaller tank on the bottom. The ones I have hold a 10g and a 5.5g. There is a stand one size up from that. For larger tanks, some folks are using garage shelves. But they need a little decor or something to look nice inside the home. Maybe wrap vines around the tall beams.

image.png.2e2a88ff1ec10ec78403e885de0bbd29.png

There is a panel above the bottom tank that flips up for maintenance. It is flipped up in the photo.

I have one of those for my 29; the one with this fish:

z99.jpg.e3687246b931e4830fe6a66e7e30a84f.jpg

I'm mixed on it; i mean it works and it is level but it was a few dollars more than the less level less steady metal stand petco sells. It is all a trade off; there is a type of mdf used in construction that is 100% water proof; also expensive and to my knowledge not used in stands because stands with mdf are made as cheap as cheap can be. After all it isn't their floor that will get flooded...

-

When i was in college many years ago i had a used tank on a used stand (something like 75 but not exactly); the stand was just 2x4's hand made but not finished; and it kind of rocked back and forth but the tank never broke (nor the stand); of course the tank itself looked home made and well made. These days aqueon tanks will split if you just look at them wrong - how things have changed - since i had that tank before the internet well i guess i'll blame the internet 😉

• Like 1

I have a metaframe tank and hood. I haven't found a metaframe stand, and I wanted something to compliment the style. I found a really beautiful little dresser on offer up that's solid wood that I believe is  from the 1940's. I got it for $60. Plenty of drawer space for fish food and supplies.

17022369442907266667633146340776.jpg

Edited by smm333
  • Like 5

On 12/10/2023 at 1:06 PM, sairving said:

@anewbie last winter I had an Aqueon tank crack from the top rim to the bottom rim during a water change. A minor tap with the python resulted in a massive crack. At least the water didn't leak out immediately. 

yea; they really suck all around; on the one hand they are dirt cheap with the only real alternative is to spend 4 x on a custom aquarium. Still i think going forward i'm going to limit myself to 10s and 20 long aqueon; just tired of cleaning up the mess when they fail.

On 12/10/2023 at 2:59 PM, anewbie said:

yea; they really suck all around; on the one hand they are dirt cheap with the only real alternative is to spend 4 x on a custom aquarium. Still i think going forward i'm going to limit myself to 10s and 20 long aqueon; just tired of cleaning up the mess when they fail.

I setup my UNS 60S last weekend. The build quality is amazing. My only gripe is the official lid is a piece of glass. It keeps the cat out but is a pain for feeding. 

On 12/10/2023 at 7:24 PM, sairving said:

I setup my UNS 60S last weekend. The build quality is amazing. My only gripe is the official lid is a piece of glass. It keeps the cat out but is a pain for feeding. 

You could slice it in 1/2 and put in a hinge; well would need to trim it down a little for the space the hinge takes. Really weird they don't hinge their lid; did they at least give you a handle to plop it off ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 7:27 PM, anewbie said:

You could slice it in 1/2 and put in a hinge; well would need to trim it down a little for the space the hinge takes. Really weird they don't hinge their lid; did they at least give you a handle to plop it off ?

Nope, it's literally one piece of glass. Granted a very high quality and heavy piece of glass. I would need to take it to a glass cutter to have any modifications done. Been thinking about having a feeding hole or two cut.

On 12/24/2023 at 9:08 PM, sairving said:

Nope, it's literally one piece of glass. Granted a very high quality and heavy piece of glass. I would need to take it to a glass cutter to have any modifications done. Been thinking about having a feeding hole or two cut.

Some hardware stores will cut glass for you. What i was saying is you could go to the hardware store and order a piece of glass the size you want... or in this case two pieces and then insert a hinge.

On 12/25/2023 at 8:58 AM, anewbie said:

Some hardware stores will cut glass for you. What i was saying is you could go to the hardware store and order a piece of glass the size you want... or in this case two pieces and then insert a hinge.

That might work. The piece of glass I have is really nice. Would have to pick up more clips because the tank is rimless.

On 12/26/2023 at 7:29 AM, anewbie said:

Yea to be honest i don't know - rimless makes everything more painful - i mean they look nice and normally i'd say just run the aquarium without a lid but then you run into problems if you have jumpers or a smart cat.

My cat is the problem. Fish water is delicious and she doesn't mind getting wet.

Edited by sairving
  • Haha 2

Why not do a cinder block fish tank stand? I think it looks pretty dang cool. Also, you can decorate the blocks however you wish (maybe keep away from ideas that might compromise their structural integrity like carving into them).

Here is a picture of one example (site link below).

CinderBlockFishTank.webp.023ece901921d74fc800a984f77fe63e.webp 

I saw the idea in "Fish For Thought," and later, I looked up and read an article. Here is the link:
https://medium.com/@aspen_hollyer/diy-cinder-block-aquarium-stand-b679b2e30375

• Like 1

I have reclaimed the stand back to an aquarium stand!!! :classic_laugh:. I had to give up the old heavy chest of drawers in the barter! :classic_rolleyes:  However,  I'm downsizing and simplifying so it worked out...gave the 20 long to a friend and now have a 6.8 Imagitarium setup. Another shrimp tank in the works. :classic_biggrin:  Removed the filtration system and added 2 original nano Nermy sponge filters.. :classic_laugh:  I really enjoy these 20240101_121052.jpg.6b1fa8b4aef47fbc633ab58d16d2e921.jpgcube tanks. 

20240101_141843.jpg

20240101_052927.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1