Yellow school

Sweetpickles

On 11/19/2023 at 12:20 PM, Lennie said:

I don't think honey gourami is aggressive at all. I have kept many gouramis and so many bettas, and my honey gourami is angelic. Can it be the golds you read about aggression? Because my golds, especially females, are quite aggressive. Ive kept my honey gourami with some other gourami species and bettas in different setups, and if one was aggressive in those tanks, it was never the honey gourami. I wouldn't really compare honey gouramis to bettas  if you ask me in terms of temperament. In fact, none of my 11 bettas were similar with each other in terms of character.

I know @Guppysnail has many males to a single female ratio as a result of buying a group of juveniles ( like 5m:1f if Im not mistaken), and she has no issues to my knowledge. But ofcourse, if one can choose genders, might be a better idea to go for more females than males.

I understand your willingness to read and learn a lot. But I would highly encourage to read/listen the experiences of people you trust, read scientific papers, breeding reports, and learn mainly from these. We also have many friends in the forum that helps us based on their career, like Duck being a vet or Biotope biologist being biologist for example. Their perspective is also always valuable. Internet is great, but all I can say is, not all info one may obtain is good and true sadly. Or a lot of the times, these info lack experience to base it on. This way, these sort of info can be misleading. If I have never kept honey gourami in 4 different setups and not have friends that keep them in groups, I would hesitate to have them thinking the males are aggressive like bettas after reading this statement. I hope you can see my point there

Excuse my misunderstanding lmao. Thanks for the correction. I've read from multiple sources that they are aggressive but I guess Honey Gourami's arent based on what I've now learned.

On 11/19/2023 at 4:05 PM, Kaiju said:

Excuse my misunderstanding lmao. Thanks for the correction. I've read from multiple sources that they are aggressive but I guess Honey Gourami's arent based on what I've now learned.

Could be on a fish-by-fish basis, like how some bettas are peaceful.

On 11/19/2023 at 7:09 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Could be on a fish-by-fish basis, like how some bettas are peaceful.

I see. Kinda like the Imbellis is far more peaceful than say a Veiltail male? 

On 11/17/2023 at 12:01 PM, Sweetpickles said:

tank is 36 gal,

how long is the tank?  Barbs like a lot of swimming distance (lengthwise).

In terms of yellow there are some options, but I would also toss in pale green as a color that can often be pretty yellow.

Gold barbs, Albino tiger barbs, Neon Green Rasbora would seemingly all fit the theme.

• Love 1

On 11/19/2023 at 9:38 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

how long is the tank?  Barbs like a lot of swimming distance (lengthwise).

In terms of yellow there are some options, but I would also toss in pale green as a color that can often be pretty yellow.

Gold barbs, Albino tiger barbs, Neon Green Rasbora would seemingly all fit the theme.

My tank is 34" long 14" deep and 15" tall. I have decided to save the barbs for a larger tank. I saw an amazing set up in lansing I would love to replicate at pruess pets. I looked up the green rasbora,  what an adorable fish. I would love that with my mountain minnows in my 20. It needs a pop of color too! They would be fun in this lager tank as well. Hengali rasbora are the smallest I have in the 36. No one bothers them. I will Def put the green rasb on my list! Thank you for the interesting suggestion!!

• Like 1

@Sweetpickles, back with another recommendation, I think adding a small school of Kubotai Rasbora could bring out the yellow in other fish while still looking very eye-catching. 

On 11/20/2023 at 9:37 AM, Kaiju said:

@Sweetpickles, back with another recommendation, I think adding a small school of Kubotai Rasbora could bring out the yellow in other fish while still looking very eye-catching. 

Nevermind, @nabokovfan87 beat me to it with the same fish! Lol.

Edited by Kaiju

On 11/20/2023 at 11:36 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

That's a good one.

Especially with all of those fish in the tank already.

@Zeaqua @nabokovfan87 Yes! I was looking at a Japanese rice fish this morn, daisy's blue and golden something rather. So, you think a big tank with a bunch of littles would be a good look? I will need to think about this. I am getting so many really interesting ideas! Thanks!

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

I finally decided on a yellow fish in my tank!! I chose to add a school of albino silver tipped tetra! So far 6 in my quarenteen tank. Thank you all for your suggestions!! It took me longer to decide than I thought. I visited the lfs last weekend and he had just gotten these in. I needed to clean the quarenteen tank and make sure parameters were good b4 throwing some fish in. Let me tell ya....it was hard walking away with no fish that day!🤣 but I believe that is what saves fishy lives!! 

Again many thanks for all the great ideas!

20240403_115924.jpg

Edited by Sweetpickles
Spelling