Substrate Advice

Curleys Glove

I have not had a planted tank in 25 years. I am somewhat well versed as a hobbyist (reefs mainly), but I am looking to get some good advice on substrate (brand),  proper layering techniques, and what to layer with. Can anybody give me a little advice, or point me to a reputable source online?  Thanks!

• Like 1

I t depends on the budget and the look you are going for.

For me, gravel is forever, and easy to clean. Pea gravel from the local big box store is cheaper than official aquarium gravel.  Shop around because different stores will have different colorations.  Coarse sand such as swimming pool sand is also inexpensive, and a little harder to keep clean as the detritus usually remains on top.  They all grow plants.

Various soils will cost more, and will eventually exhaust their nutrient supplies .  They are great looking but are something that I don't get into.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 3:49 AM, Curleys Glove said:

I have not had a planted tank in 25 years. I am somewhat well versed as a hobbyist (reefs mainly), but I am looking to get some good advice on substrate (brand),  proper layering techniques, and what to layer with. Can anybody give me a little advice, or point me to a reputable source online?  Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!  What type of tank are you looking for?  I would start here:

Active / Planted Substrate:  Contrasoil is great
Sand / Natural:  Caribsea supernaturals sand comes in a variety of colors. I like the crystal river / torpedo beach size sand
Gravel: There's a ton of options here from pea gravel at the hardware store to a variety of other choices. (natural or colored)

• Like 1

For me HTH pool fitler sand is fine - plant; add root tab; add water; watch plant grow and grow and grow. The only objection to hth pool filter sand is colour - so for fishes that dont' require ultra fine substrate i use other stuff with better colour like jungle river from caribsea or estes black substrate - only in extreme cases do you need more sophisticated 'soil' for plants - but remember many aquatic plants in the wild actually have very pure water with very little mineral content.