I got me a question - what would u do?

SC Fish

The context:

So my desk is made up of 1 very sturdy desktop made from wood held up by 2 Alex drawers - which we all know are made from particle board. This desk is supporting my 20g and my 10g plus all its contents (around 290-330KG once i scape them with stones and everything - they aren't scaped rn) . its been a year but I'm worried the desk cant support this for too long securely - but I'm looking into it. (if u have any advice let me know please) . 
The question:

if you had to would you get rid of the 10g to keep the 20g OR sell the 20g to buy another 10g. (1 big environment or 2 small environments)

thanks in advance!

I think your estimate of weight is pretty darn high.  I dont use the metric system but if my conversation to freedom fractions is accurate you're thinking 30 gallons of fish tank is going to weigh upwards of 800 pounds? If you had 30 gallons of water weighing 8 pounds per gallon that puts you at 240 pounds.  Regardless of whatever scape you use I think you'd struggle to have 500 pounds of scaping and equipment in 2 small tanks

• Like 1

I also think your weight estimates are way too high. If my numbers are close you are talking about  the equivalent of 10ea. 23kg (50#) bags of gravel.

1 year in, if the Alex drawers are still working smoothly, and they are showing no signs of bowing, you are probably ok.  Your "very sturdy desk top" is distributing the weight.  I'm guessing that your drawers are an Ikea product.  If they are on rollers, I would remove the rollers sitting the cabinet on the floor. 

On 11/1/2023 at 10:41 AM, SC Fish said:

The context:

So my desk is made up of 1 very sturdy desktop made from wood held up by 2 Alex drawers - which we all know are made from particle board. This desk is supporting my 20g and my 10g plus all its contents (around 290-330KG once i scape them with stones and everything - they aren't scaped rn) . its been a year but I'm worried the desk cant support this for too long securely - but I'm looking into it. (if u have any advice let me know please) . 
The question:

if you had to would you get rid of the 10g to keep the 20g OR sell the 20g to buy another 10g. (1 big environment or 2 small environments)

thanks in advance!

This setup sounds just like:

Per the IKEA website it's clearly not rated or designed to be an aquarium stand. That being said the Alex drawers and so on all are "rated for" about 50 lbs or so.

If you wish to keep the cabinets and are still concerned about how much weight they will support: a sheet of plywood, prefinished particle board, or solid wood shelving material cut to the same height as the cabinets will increase the load bearing weight when placed along side the cabinet.

I should add that you did not mention how far apart the cabinets are, so you should watch for the desktop bowing.

• 1 month later...