Aquarium sale

Scaperoot

Being from Europe I am amazed how cheap aquariums are in US... those dollar a gallon sales are amazing. Here a used tank of 20G still sets you back at least 50 to 60 euro. I just bought a new 18 gallon 75 euro - cheapest I could find new! 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 2:28 PM, Guppysnail said:

@Scaperoot thanks again. I picked up

my tank and talked to them. They honored the half off and fixed it even though I paid online. I would normally grab everything and go never being aware they were on sale 🤗

That's awesome! I got a 20 long for less than $30. If only I had room for more...😋

• Love 1

On 10/31/2023 at 4:12 PM, Milliardo Peacecraft said:

Selling an aquarium cheap is just like selling computer printers cheap.  It's not the printer they make the money on, it's the ink... once you buy the aquarium glass, they know you'll be buying a ton more over the next several years, so they can afford to sell the aquarium cheap.

True. The tank is the cheapest part of the adventure 

On 10/31/2023 at 3:13 PM, Guppysnail said:

True. The tank is the cheapest part of the adventure 

Until you get to the big ones. I just can't commit to the price of a 250 gallon or larger, no matter how much I want one.

I'll just have to keep settling for my 135 being our largest. :classic_sad:

Edited by Tazalanche
  • Sad 1

On 10/31/2023 at 12:55 PM, Ruud said:

Being from Europe I am amazed how cheap aquariums are in US... those dollar a gallon sales are amazing. Here a used tank of 20G still sets you back at least 50 to 60 euro. I just bought a new 18 gallon 75 euro - cheapest I could find new! 

As someone who buys rimless tanks, nano kits (fluval spec etc), column aquariums and the lot I never get the 50% or DPG sales either, lol. 

PetCo tank sales are the gateway drug to the hobby.  I'm sure that ACO is happy for folks to get into the hobby (or expand their tank collection). 🙂

Having said that, I think, from this point forward, if I wanted a smaller tank, I'd probably grab one of the ACO tanks (I'm about 40 minutes away from ACO).  It looks like they have a winner there.  Now, spreading out that knowledge to the average consumer, I'm not sure how to do that... 🙂

On 10/31/2023 at 2:48 PM, Kit Craft said:

As someone who buys rimless tanks, nano kits (fluval spec etc), column aquariums and the lot I never get the 50% or DPG sales either, lol. 

A lot of it is cost and convenience.  Those Aqueon tanks have a standard glass lid that you can get, all the filters will fit behind them, and they have those nice Imagitarium metal stands.  They have years of everyone catering products to those tank dimensions.  So, it's easy for consumers to use them.

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 2:34 PM, Tazalanche said:

I'll just have to keep settling for my 135 being our largest. :classic_sad:

I've stuck to 55 and lower because (a) they are part of the PetCo sale and (b) they have the Imagitarium metal stands available.

It's surprising how expensive it can be to get a manufactured metal stand.  You might spend $1000 getting a metal (or solid wood/plywood) stand made for a 75 (or larger) tank, and I refuse to buy those "cardboard" cheap stands that are available. 🙂

Once you go past 55 gallon Aqueons (or Marinelands), the price goes up dramatically for the whole package.

Of course, I only keep "small" fish.  So, if you want a large cichlid tank, you need to go (much) bigger.

Edited by Galabar

On 10/31/2023 at 5:42 PM, Galabar said:

I've stuck to 55 and lower because (a) they are part of the PetCo sale and (b) they have the Imagitarium metal stands available.

It's surprising how expensive it can be to get a manufactured metal stand.  You might spend $1000 getting a metal (or solid wood/plywood) stand made for a 75 (or larger) tank, and I refuse to buy those "cardboard" cheap stands that are available. 🙂

Once you go past 55 gallon Aqueons (or Marinelands), the price goes up dramatically for the whole package.

Of course, I only keep "small" fish.  So, if you want a large cichlid tank, you need to go (much) bigger.

I want a 250 gallon for everything that's currently in the 135, plus  another 100-200 cardinal tetras.

Then I can set up the 135 as a nano tank. Nothing larger than 2" fully grown, but over 100 in some of the schools.

I'm currently doing that in a 55 with up to 50 of each school (chili rasboras, pygmy cories, CPDs & emerald dwarf rasboras), plus a colony of neocaridina shrimp.

PXL_20230819_211451312.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1