Lifeisgood

125 gallon tank has been set up for two and one half years and became over stocked due to over enthusiastic fish breeding.  I noticed a bad smell but fish seemed to be fine.  Kept up partial water changes but likely over fed fish because of worrying about babies not getting enough.  All that to say—green water ensued and then died.  Viscosity of water changed because bubbles were collecting at the surface.  Tried a larger water change.  Noticed the underside of the Hillstream loaches flesh looked cloudy instead of silvery and translucent.  Saw the first dead fish.

I drained the water, caught the fish and put them in large tub of dechlorinated water with air stone to aerate the water. I have been cleaning out the fish that die  and doing partial water changes daily to keep the water clean.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how else I can help the loaches recover?  Medications?  Or any other ideas?  They have a large Annubias plant and some narrow jungle Val with them in their tub.

The pictures appear a bit redder than the fish really are.  They should be silvery and transparent ish.

There are less dead today.  The temp is about 65 degrees F.  They have never been heated for over two years.  Just room temperature.

I fed them some today.  There are about 20 dwarf neon rainbow fish with them.  None of the rainbow died over night.  I do 1/3 water change daily.  I don’t know if I should feed or not.  Or what I can do to help them.

On 10/18/2023 at 7:04 PM, Lifeisgood said:

The pictures appear a bit redder than the fish really are.  They should be silvery and transparent ish.

There are less dead today.  The temp is about 65 degrees F.  They have never been heated for over two years.  Just room temperature.

I fed them some today.  There are about 20 dwarf neon rainbow fish with them.  None of the rainbow died over night.  I do 1/3 water change daily.  I don’t know if I should feed or not.  Or what I can do to help them.

What I would do is keep stable water parameters and only water change if you see any ammonia or nitrite daily water change will add extra stress and feed a  once a day what I would do is add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons and add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal  add an extra air stone 

On 10/18/2023 at 9:13 PM, Colu said:

What I would do is keep stable water parameters and only water change if you see any ammonia or nitrite daily water change will add extra stress and feed a  once a day what I would do is add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons and add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal  add an extra air stone 

I will try that!  And thank you for your advice.  I really appreciate it, and will give you an update after a few days. 😊

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 10:46 PM, Lifeisgood said:

I will try that!  And thank you for your advice.  I really appreciate it, and will give you an update after a few days. 😊

On 10/18/2023 at 9:13 PM, Colu said:

Hi Colu—here’s the update after a few weeks.  I only had one more fish die.  That is wonderful!  Thank you for helping me through this crisis!

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 7:16 PM, Lifeisgood said:

Hi Colu—here’s the update after a few weeks.  I only had one more fish die.  That is wonderful!  Thank you for helping me through this crisis!

That's good news has the redness fully  gone away 

Edited by Colu