Filtration on small shallow tank

Scaperoot

I recently purchased my first rimless tank, a UNS 45S (5 gallon, shallow) at a ACO partner store. The filter which the owner recommended seems to be a bad fit. It may be because of the layout of the scape, but there are a couple areas where the water seems stagnant. The wood is already glued to the stones, so I'm limited on placement options. I've tried moving the outflow to just below the surface, but it's not strong enough. I then decided to purchase a Marina S10 HOB filter, but the intake tube is too long. Would the ACO Nano filter be a better option? FYI: This tank will be home to a make Betta once it has been cycled. 

5gal.jpg

5gal2.jpg

I like and use the Dennerle Eckfilter in my betta tanks. Depending on the height of your tank it could work. It has a spray bar with adjustable flow that can move water across that long surface. I stuff it with coop coarse sponge. Definitely use the two little sponges it comes with to stuff the top and bottom gaps behind the filter to keep your betta from snooping behind there and getting stuck. 

I've used in the past the Aquael Pat Mini, it requieres only 14cm and is silent. Also these small HoB, they do the job but sometimes are loud:

Filtro-de-mochila-FM-120.jpg.2e4918dabac56f8293696d25710b9ae0.jpg

Your betta will appreciate a Sponge filter 🙂 the ones with the directional output work well for small tanks.

I'd use a smallish sponge filter in the back behind the scaping; in my 10 i use sponge filters in the two back corners - this is what it looks liked in the past:

xqq.jpg.fe8d7f22a281d1d2d2c64770ef3d67eb.jpgxyz2.jpg.75cdc57b3d98eb17c937966491561a16.jpg

This is what it looks like today:

(i moved a few weeks ago and never really got around to fixing it after dumping everything back in - the pearl weed in the first picture got gobbled down by the mystery snail -there is a little left in the hornworth which was a small strand transplanted from another aquarium - kind of prefer the pearl weed but as noted so do the snails - and one mystery snail can eat a *lot* of pearl weed in a few days).

10-oct-2023.jpg.d0ae16ae68d87db83525f85f985ff2dd.jpg