Salt and meds

James Bull

Hiya all, just wondering can I use aquarium salts with other medications at the same time? Or should salt only be used alone? Trying to cure dropsy in my Neón tetra. Quarantine tank set just would like to know if mixing is an option. Also I have 10 neons 2 of which are sick should I quarantine the 2 or all of them so they stay together and not Linley!

My guess is it may depend on the medication used, I have used salt with Ich-X and EM Erythromycin before without observed ill effects.

Were the neons purchased all at the same time? If they were purchased together I would quarantine them together as if 2-3 of the 10 are showing symptoms of illness the others have been exposed and may just not be showing the symptoms yet. 

If all were purchased together I would quarantine them together and give them a round of de-wormer (paracleanse or general cure). With small tetras I also tend to combine this with EM Erythromycin as bacterial infections are common with tetras in my experience.

I highly recommend Cory's "Med Trio" quarantine method, especially if you see signs of disease with new fish (video linked) as it has worked very well for me since I started using it a few years back and likewise have seen several others here that have also had positive results with it.

30 minutes ago, James Bull said:

I love Corys  trio of meds but I live in Spain and can’t get them delivered here! Been trying to find the equivalent over here in Europe. 

Hi James, can't help on the topic I am afraid, but where in Spain are you located? I am Dutch but living close to Granollers in Catalunya (half an hour north of Barcelona). 

(Edit: great looking Anubius)

Edited by Ruud

Not exactly thesame, haven't seen Fritz products here in Spain. Urban natura in Barcelona has quite a selection of medication, you can take a look on their website. They have alternatives for de-worming and anti bacterial infections. Ich X is quite easily available. 

Just now, James Bull said:

Thank you! Will check them out tomorrow! How’s things in Barcelona you locked down? Here we are under curfew and no moving between municipalities! Hard to get to the fish store!

Same here, I am just next to Montmelo in a small village. Curfew and municipality lockdown. How are the fish stores in your area? Any good? There's not much here to be honest

Not sure if you are on Facebook but there is a group called "Acuariofilia para todo Espana" . Might be good to post your questions on medicines there as well. I remember also a FB group specifically for the Sevilla area and even one for the Malaga area. Just look for Acuariofilia Malaga

There were 3 good shops in Barcelona, one closed and the other one ... well I went last friday and it seemed quality went backwards. Quite a few tanks with a dead fish, some obvious longer than a day. Assortment also took a big hit. Overall, getting something out of the ordinary like a nice L number or Sailfin mollies or I don't know what is not that straight forward. 

Hope this helps