Can you use the Aquarium Co-Op Coarse Sponge Pad to Replace Fluval Pre Filter Pads?

Eric G

Can you use the Aquarium Co-Op Coarse Sponge Pad to Replace Fluval Pre Filter Pads? I have the Fluval 207 and am wondering if I can buy the one large black Coarse Sponge Pad from Aquarium Co-Op and cut it to the size I need to replace the 2 large blue and 2 large white prefilters in my Fluval 207 canister. I am already using the coarse pad in my bottom tray of my canister. Thank you for any recommendations.

@Eric G you absolutely can do that, many people "hot rod" their filter systems (no matter what they are using), tuning it to their needs. The Fluval pads from what I can see are like the ACO water polishing filter pad. What the finer filters do is take out all the small particles that get past coarse filter sponge. Finer sponge does tend to clog a lot faster than coarse. Depending on what you are keeping/how often you clean/what kind of debris your tank might have changing out types of filter media can really help. I never hurts to try. 

P.S. Coarse pads last a whole lot longer and are easier to clean than fine pads- so if you can make the swap I recommend it.

• Like 1