Schoutedeni, what to think of when they arrive?

Vanessa K

Hi,

I've finally (we're talking at least a year) managed to get my hands on the Schoutedeni, 4 actually, and I've prepared for them, seasoned tank, good filtration etc, and I'm waiting for them to arrive. My question is, they're from a good retailer, captive bred, but they're being transported for well over 24 hours - the retailer's in Germany and I'm in Sweden. What should I do when they arrive? To keep them under water I know but do I open the bag as soon as possible or let it float for temperature acclimating? Put them in a container in the water they came with? - and gradually fill water from the tank? I'm a little anxious using the water they came in, don't wanna risk creating an ammonia pike since they've traveled for a while. And finally - when do I try to get them to eat? I suppose they haven't eaten for a while, not to foul the water etc. Should I let them be, to let them get used to their surrounding or what?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/4/2023 at 5:28 PM, Vanessa K said:

Hi,

I've finally (we're talking at least a year) managed to get my hands on the Schoutedeni, 4 actually, and I've prepared for them, seasoned tank, good filtration etc, and I'm waiting for them to arrive. My question is, they're from a good retailer, captive bred, but they're being transported for well over 24 hours - the retailer's in Germany and I'm in Sweden. What should I do when they arrive? To keep them under water I know but do I open the bag as soon as possible or let it float for temperature acclimating? Put them in a container in the water they came with? - and gradually fill water from the tank? I'm a little anxious using the water they came in, don't wanna risk creating an ammonia pike since they've traveled for a while. And finally - when do I try to get them to eat? I suppose they haven't eaten for a while, not to foul the water etc. Should I let them be, to let them get used to their surrounding or what?

I wouldn't open the bag straight away that will cause ammonia to spike I would float the bag to temperature acclimate them and then I would add them straight to the tank 

• Like 1

Because you're talking puffers, maybe @mountaintoppufferkeeper , @Preston John , or @brandonnaturally can chime in with their technique as well.

Some people will say "plop and drop" and other would slow acclimate with something like an airstone in a container with drops of prime.  It's tough because of the issue of them puffing up and that causing damage.  I don't think it happens often, but it's something where maybe there is a good way to handle puffer acclimation?

Help us out please!

• Like 1

thanks for the heads up @nabokovfan87

@Vanessa K congratulations on the spotted congo puffer colony. I can only speak to my personal experience and process. For my puffer acclimation I generally do temperature acclimation by floating puffers in their bags for 30-45 minutes with the lights off, especially when they travel for a while I dose the tsnk with water conditioner then just cut the bags open and release them, water and all, after the temperature acclimation.I leave the lights off the first couple of hours after release.

My preference is to have a bunch of snails in the tanks so they can start eating at their own pace once settled. I do offer food after the lights are turned back on as well; generally puffers are quick to adjust and be ready for food in my tanks. 

I do not worry about parameter acclimation personally and am more concerned about the ammonia spike risk in the bag water once I expose it to air.  I defer to those that use it for their processes for specifics on how to do that method.

In the distant past I have rarely cut open the bag at the top and add the tank water to the bags a cup at a time every 5 minutes for about 15 or 20 minutes before release into the tank. But I have found that unncessary for my new arrivals.

I do treat the tank with a water conditioner when they arrive with Fritz A.C.C.R and use live plants. I worry less about any ammonia spike issues in my situation due the dillution of the bag water into the main tank volume of water, the live plants, and the conditioner that neutralizes any ammonia which is present.

A single 1/8th inch (3.18 mm) long mekong puffer fry once inflated in a net and get air stuck. That batch had 1 of 300 to do that.... rare but possible. That puffer was a around this size (an earlier batch). It was my one experience of a puffer fry inflating with air and it being an issue. This is a Pao palustris mekong river puffer F1 fry. The light smudges are baby brine shrimp

Screenshot_20221024_044304.jpg.978e94f1471e400f020af9e12bba5a70.jpg

I believe, based of my own learning experiences, that older puffers have less trouble expelling air than younger fry. for my comfort I avoid the risk personally and accept the risk of adding a small amount of bag water to the tank. I keep them all under water when they arrive its a personal preference

Spotted congos displaying

Screenshot_20230315_192826_YahooMail.jpg.785c8a82671aeba3a67afef009c0984f.jpg

Spotted congo fry growth up here

Screenshot_20230710_161618_VideoPlayer.jpg.fdc9a76af8f36036b0ce03e6b56a63fc.jpg

Screenshot_20230815_114700_VideoPlayer.jpg.27a14b39d8875f92030fd39237a29b6e.jpg

Screenshot_20231003_201229_VideoPlayer.jpg.6c68f3c8b05863f031406224f97a57b9.jpg

Congrats on the new puffers I look forward to any forum updates of their progress. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 10/5/2023 at 11:58 AM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

thanks for the heads up @nabokovfan87

@Vanessa K congratulations on the spotted congo puffer colony. I can only speak to my personal experience and process. For my puffer acclimation I generally do temperature acclimation by floating puffers in their bags for 30-45 minutes with the lights off, especially when they travel for a while I dose the tsnk with water conditioner then just cut the bags open and release them, water and all, after the temperature acclimation.I leave the lights off the first couple of hours after release.

My preference is to have a bunch of snails in the tanks so they can start eating at their own pace once settled. I do offer food after the lights are turned back on as well; generally puffers are quick to adjust and be ready for food in my tanks. 

I do not worry about parameter acclimation personally and am more concerned about the ammonia spike risk in the bag water once I expose it to air.  I defer to those that use it for their processes for specifics on how to do that method.

In the distant past I have rarely cut open the bag at the top and add the tank water to the bags a cup at a time every 5 minutes for about 15 or 20 minutes before release into the tank. But I have found that unncessary for my new arrivals.

I do treat the tank with a water conditioner when they arrive with Fritz A.C.C.R and use live plants. I worry less about any ammonia spike issues in my situation due the dillution of the bag water into the main tank volume of water, the live plants, and the conditioner that neutralizes any ammonia which is present.

A single 1/8th inch (3.18 mm) long mekong puffer fry once inflated in a net and get air stuck. That batch had 1 of 300 to do that.... rare but possible. That puffer was a around this size (an earlier batch). It was my one experience of a puffer fry inflating with air and it being an issue. This is a Pao palustris mekong river puffer F1 fry. The light smudges are baby brine shrimp

Screenshot_20221024_044304.jpg.978e94f1471e400f020af9e12bba5a70.jpg

I believe, based of my own learning experiences, that older puffers have less trouble expelling air than younger fry. for my comfort I avoid the risk personally and accept the risk of adding a small amount of bag water to the tank. I keep them all under water when they arrive its a personal preference

Spotted congos displaying

Screenshot_20230315_192826_YahooMail.jpg.785c8a82671aeba3a67afef009c0984f.jpg

Spotted congo fry growth up here

Screenshot_20230710_161618_VideoPlayer.jpg.fdc9a76af8f36036b0ce03e6b56a63fc.jpg

Screenshot_20230815_114700_VideoPlayer.jpg.27a14b39d8875f92030fd39237a29b6e.jpg

Screenshot_20231003_201229_VideoPlayer.jpg.6c68f3c8b05863f031406224f97a57b9.jpg

Congrats on the new puffers I look forward to any forum updates of their progress. 

Thank you so much! (to all of you!)

I'm a bit nervous. They haven't sent them yet, but I trust that they will. I will make updates! And probably become a bit needy lol. I've tried to do my research but I wanna give them a good home, not just a decent one.

• Love 1