Difficulty swimming, twirling, torn tail fin

abigail

My glow light tetra has developed some kind of disease. Water parameters were 0/0/20 and I moved him to quarantine. Video attached. I also saw him spinning and swimming vertically in the main tank (which is what caused me to notice). Any thoughts on what this could be and how to treat? Thank you!

I can’t add a video unfortunately 

Edited by abigail

I would say it's very likely some sort of swim bladder disease. There are other diseases that can cause similar things like Whirling Disease but that is probably unlikely in your case. Swim bladder is often caused by bacterial infections. Because his tail is also torn this could be a traumatic injury issue. The fish could have been bullied or trapped by decor and has now damaged itself. 

I would keep their water VERY clean and treat with an antibacterial medication. Only time will tell if it heals itself. Whether or not it has a bacterial infection you'll want to treat to prevent one from happening if it isn't already. 

You also may need to hand feed the fish if it can't get to food. I had a Neon that had a severe swimbladder injury and had to hand feed it thawed bloodworms. 

Black Neon Swimming Vertically? What I've done so far....

• Thanks 1

Hi! Unfortunately the fish I wrote about earlier died that night, even after I treated with antibiotics.

However, now I have another glowlight tetra in my main tank that is showing difficulty swimming. Should I treat the whole tank with antibiotics? Thank you!

On 10/1/2023 at 7:13 PM, abigail said:

Hi! Unfortunately the fish I wrote about earlier died that night, even after I treated with antibiotics.

However, now I have another glowlight tetra in my main tank that is showing difficulty swimming. Should I treat the whole tank with antibiotics? Thank you!

I would do a full course of broad spectrum antibiotic treatment such as maracyn maracyn2 or kanaplex which every one you have to hand than I would treat with paracleanse every 2 weeks for a total of three full course of treatment what your describing could be caused by a bacterial or parasitic infection 

Thank you so much! i started Maracyn yesterday, but unfortunately the glowlight tetra I wrote about yesterday has already died. Another one is now struggling to swim. So far this disease only seems to affect the glowlight tetras for some reason.

Is it possible that blue-green cyanobacteria can cause this? I have learned today that what I thought was algae is actually cyanobacteria in my tank. The cyanobacteria is a new development (within the last few weeks). 

On 10/2/2023 at 5:28 PM, abigail said:

Thank you so much! i started Maracyn yesterday, but unfortunately the glowlight tetra I wrote about yesterday has already died. Another one is now struggling to swim. So far this disease only seems to affect the glowlight tetras for some reason.

Is it possible that blue-green cyanobacteria can cause this? I have learned today that what I thought was algae is actually cyanobacteria in my tank. The cyanobacteria is a new development (within the last few weeks). 

If you have cyanobacteria the active ingredient in maracyn erythromycin will kill it  finish the full course of maracyn water change and follow up with a full course of paracleanse cyanobacteria can cause oxygen levels to drop so I would make sure you have plenty of surface agitation to increase level's of desloved oxygen 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1