Does the placement of a sponge filter matter?

Herefishie

On 9/22/2023 at 11:40 AM, Odd Duck said:

If you have one of those very long bookshelf aquarium, you might consider putting one on each end to reduce risk of dead spots.  Smaller bookshelf should be OK with a single filter.

It's 35 inches long so I don't know if that's considered small or big since it's my first one. Thanks for the advice about possibly using two if necessary. I did get a pump that has two outlets so there is that option which is good.

On 9/22/2023 at 2:38 PM, Herefishie said:

It's 35 inches long so I don't know if that's considered small or big since it's my first one. Thanks for the advice about possibly using two if necessary. I did get a pump that has two outlets so there is that option which is good.

I would consider that long and I would use 2 filters myself, but I’m a bit of a nut for overfiltration as a bit of insurance.

• Thanks 1

Like others are saying I like to have two sponge filters on each end. I did this for my 20 high and again for my 20 long and it works great for me! I also use the second sponge filter as a backup or in my quarantine tub so I think having a second filter running comes in handy personally.

Hope you figure out what's right for you! 🤗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2023 at 2:31 PM, dmurray407 said:

I like to keep few extra sponge filters going in my aquarium (as room allows) so I have an extra seasoned one ready to go in case I have new fish or sick fish that need to go into the quarantine tank.

Good idea. I just ordered a second sponge filter from Cory.  I also ordered some of the black tubing because I'm planning to put black backing on the back of the aquarium. 😀

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 4:56 PM, Herefishie said:

I also ordered some of the black tubing because I'm planning to put black backing on the back of the aquarium

You will love the tubing-it’s so much better than the others I tried in the past. It stays soft and pliable-some of the other black tubing I have gets stiff and brittle.

• Like 2