breeding apistos in hard water?

Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics

My caucatoides trio breed well for me. 
7.8-8ph 350+ gh 180+kh. 

Make sure you get tank raised by someone not using RO to get soft water. Wild caught will have a hard time. 

I just add 1 gallon of distilled water /5 gallon bucket of tap for water changes. It does not go real far to adjusting my water but it usually gets me down to 7.8. 

Check the ph recommend of the type and stay away from ones that need that extreme acidity. 

• Like 3

specific numbers would be helpful; different species have different requirements; D50 like around 80-140 (tds) (too soft and they cna't breed too hard and they can't); domestic cockatoo as noted above can breed in harder water (don't try this with wc fishes); ph generally doesn't matter but you want gh/kh/tds of course this can get super confusing because some use degrees and other ppm and some use german scale, or uk scale, or us scale and it all gets confusing.

• Like 3

On 9/22/2023 at 10:06 AM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

I'm gonna be building a breeding rack and one of the fish id like to try and breed is apistogrammas but I have hard water and high ph.

is it possible? Ive seen people keep them in the same water as me but I'm not sure about breeding.

if you have experience with this please let me know.

thanks 🙂

My Apistos have spawned in my mountain water at around 8 ish pH.

I second @Guppysnail on the fact that domestic strains will have an easier time. 

You’ve got me thinking about rack-building, darn you! 😜