mods/hacks to cover/prevent bubble splash w/ airstones?

venzi

So when bubbles pop, they spray bits of water.  Anyone have tricks/hacks/DIY mods to contain the bubbles or the splash that bubbles from air stones create so that it doesn't get all over the lid or even outside the tank?  I'm thinking there has to be a way to do something w/ like PVC pipes or something.

The bubble pop spray is one of the reasons I use a pump to create choppy waters instead of air stones in my main tank, but I do want try to use air stones if I can get around this problem.

On 9/20/2023 at 4:48 PM, Guppysnail said:

A small plastic 2-3 oz Dixie/ deli cup lid on the airline just above water surface stops most of the splash. They are clear so not noticeable unless you are looking for it. 

wow.  yea that totally makes sense.  love how simple the concept is.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 7:48 PM, Guppysnail said:

A small plastic 2-3 oz Dixie/ deli cup lid on the airline just above water surface stops most of the splash. They are clear so not noticeable unless you are looking for it. 

Much like the Dixie cup idea, running the airline through a piece of coarse foam or scratch pad at the waterline should brake the bubbles underneath the foam.  It just occurred to me that I might be doing the plastic lid thing wrong.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 11:18 AM, Tanked said:

Much like the Dixie cup idea, running the airline through a piece of coarse foam or scratch pad at the waterline should brake the bubbles underneath the foam.  It just occurred to me that I might be doing the plastic lid thing wrong.

I keep it about a half to 1 inch above the water line so the bubbles still create surface agitation 

• Like 3

On 9/20/2023 at 3:53 PM, venzi said:

The bubble pop spray is one of the reasons I use a pump to create choppy waters instead of air stones in my main tank, but I do want try to use air stones if I can get around this problem.

The ziss stones you can adjust and you can adjust those so they don't splash nearly at all.  You get the surface movement, but the actual splash is very minimal.  If you can't do that with those stones, then you would add more drops (more stones) or you would get a slightly less powerful air pump.  They also have "bleed valves" which may help the situation to exhaust excess air pressure if you don't want to have multiple pumps.  I've seen some people do the same thing as below by using a gang valve and just bleeding off some of the air through an airstone (outside of the tank).

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2023 at 6:53 PM, venzi said:

So when bubbles pop, they spray bits of water.  Anyone have tricks/hacks/DIY mods to contain the bubbles or the splash that bubbles from air stones create so that it doesn't get all over the lid or even outside the tank?  I'm thinking there has to be a way to do something w/ like PVC pipes or something.

2:09 in this video!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1