What’s your favorite tank?

AquaLu

Greetings!  

Just wanted to say hi and connect with you nature lovers!

What’s the favorite tank you build? I’ll go first. My favorite tank right now is my Buddha tank. Home for Neocaridina shrimps and Ramshorn snails. Plants are Pogostemon Octopus, Anubias Nana, Marimo moss, Java moss, and Duckweed on the surface. Low tech, low cost, easy maintenance but I’m proud of the most. 

What about yours? Will you share some of your hard works with us here? Maybe we can find some inspirations for our future tanks setups! Thanks!

IMG_8821.jpeg

IMG_8900.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

On 9/17/2023 at 4:06 PM, Odd Duck said:

My favorite right now is my second from smallest (not counting culture only tanks).  It’s a 3 gallon shrimp tank with a few snails.

IMG_5197.jpeg

Nice shrimp tank! I like your plant choices they look so alive! With red cherry shrimp really gives great color contrast!

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2023 at 4:31 PM, mynameisnobody said:

My 180 gallon is by far my fave aquarium of them all, but my favorite inhabitant is in a 75. IMG_2652.jpeg.18860469f3e56e1665ceced9167c8750.jpeg

Thanks for sharing! That’s a huge tank you got there! You have the space to grow a garden on top lol. Really beautiful fish choice. Well done mate! 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 7:53 AM, Ben P. said:

Actually just realized I don't have a photo of it 😂 it's definitely my species only tank of the mbuna pseudotropheus elongatus chewere.  I don't believe there is a common name for them.  Beautiful fish though.  Might add a photo tonight

Googled the fish. Omg they are stunning! Can’t wait for you photos! 

On 9/18/2023 at 9:45 AM, Lennie said:

My 50 cube I guess

image.png.3f67dcc9abc022b5f703e8cc2169fd8a.png

Thanks for sharing! Just from your photo its absolutely beautiful aquascaping! I bet it’ll be way more eye catching in person!  Great work!  What’s the red plant you have on the right side? I’m thinking about adding red plants to my chilis rasboras home. 

On 9/18/2023 at 8:27 PM, AquaLu said:

Thanks for sharing! Just from your photo its absolutely beautiful aquascaping! I bet it’ll be way more eye catching in person!  Great work!  What’s the red plant you have on the right side? I’m thinking about adding red plants to my chilis rasboras home. 

Thanks!

That's Alternanthera reineckii

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2023 at 11:17 AM, Landon said:

These are great! Thanks for the topic.

I've enjoyed my 48 gallon tank alot more since I stopped trying to control the way everything looks. I'm just letting the plants all meld together and do whatever they want. 

Septembertank.jpg.4f6b7536430657139e6b116d054d932b.jpg

Wow! Another huge piece of artwork here it looks gorgeous! Really liked your arrangement of rocks, woods and plants! I think you made a right decision to let the plant grow however they want, it really gives a natural looking vibe!  Love it! That puffer fish is the main character here lol! Just curious about what specie it is? Rare to see they are in a community tank. Don’t they like to snack on the small fish and shrimps? 

I know I keep posting this tank but it has really developed beautifully and It's the only tank that isn't currently stressing me out with overgrown plants and hair algae 😅

I am going to be consolidating because of recent health issues, but this one is just no drama, like ever. 

IMG_7071.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 6

On 9/18/2023 at 12:57 PM, Sarina said:

I know I keep posting this tank but it has really developed beautifully and It's the only tank that isn't currently stressing me out with overgrown plants and hair algae 😅

I am going to be consolidating because of recent health issues, but this one is just no drama, like ever. 

IMG_7071.jpg

Hi thank you for sharing! This tank deserves the expose and praise! Im thinking reduce light source and/or introduce algae eating clean up crews may help with your concerns. Nonetheless, what a beautiful tank you have here! That water looks so good and natural. I’m current in the process of darkening the water for one of my tank as well. This is exactly how I wanted it to look like! Regarding your recent health issue, wish you the best and speeding recovery!

On 9/18/2023 at 5:08 PM, AquaLu said:

Im thinking reduce light source and/or introduce algae eating clean up crews may help with your concerns

Unfortunately the reason my other tanks are in the condition they are in is because of my inability to keep up on maintenance. They are nano tanks and need pretty much constant care to stay in balance and for the plants to stay in check, and cleanup crew options are very limited. This one is 14 gallons and very low-tech, which makes it much easier to leave to its own devices and have it look awesome all the time. My physical and mental health has been poor lately, and I can't keep up on water changes or trimming. My plants are all very healthy, the tanks just don't look very good because they are rather unkempt (by my standards, anyway).

they are still juveniles and it always seems like their colors fade when I try to take a photo, so their colors aren't there yet 😂 at this point I have 20, I Believe 15 females and 5 males.  Give em a few more months and they'll look fantastic.  Just looking the scape in this tank.  Hopefully be selling off some fry next year

PXL_20230918_224858135.jpg

PXL_20230918_224922805.jpg

PXL_20230918_225008663.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 9/18/2023 at 3:53 PM, Sarina said:

Unfortunately the reason my other tanks are in the condition they are in is because of my inability to keep up on maintenance. They are nano tanks and need pretty much constant care to stay in balance and for the plants to stay in check, and cleanup crew options are very limited. This one is 14 gallons and very low-tech, which makes it much easier to leave to its own devices and have it look awesome all the time. My physical and mental health has been poor lately, and I can't keep up on water changes or trimming. My plants are all very healthy, the tanks just don't look very good because they are rather unkempt (by my standards, anyway).

I’m so sorry to hear the health challenges you’re been facing. I understand maintaining nano tanks can be very demanding. Glad to know this one is giving you the peace of mind that you need the most. Your well-being is always the priority, and our aquarium hobby should be an enjoyable and therapeutic experience. Wishing you improved health and beautiful, low-maintenance aquariums to enjoy!

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2023 at 3:59 PM, Ben P. said:

they are still juveniles and it always seems like their colors fade when I try to take a photo, so their colors aren't there yet 😂 at this point I have 20, I Believe 15 females and 5 males.  Give em a few more months and they'll look fantastic.  Just looking the scape in this tank.  Hopefully be selling off some fry next year

PXL_20230918_224858135.jpg

PXL_20230918_224922805.jpg

PXL_20230918_225008663.jpg

Hi,

Great river looking tank you have there! Really nice hardscapes. Nothing feels more rewarding than raising up these babies lol. For real, avoiding glass reflection, capturing their true vibrant colors on camera is never easy lol.  Best luck with your breeding project! 

@AquaLu i would love to have more black slate rocks going up higher is the tank but it's not the cheapest thing in the world!  The scape is coming along, I'm actually thinking of getting rid of the sponge filters in there.  Just added a canister that has 6x volume of tank in hourly flow a month ago, so I don't think they are necessary

My favorite tank was one that I had basically setup, loved it, and then it fell apart so fast.  I am working right now on "version 2" of this tank and it's not anything where I have a decent photo at this time.  Again, I've had some success, but it also seems like it's fallen apart!

Anyways, it's my 75G aquarium.  Ghostwood hardscape, seiryu stone, and lots of stem plants.  Right now it's pretty much disassembled, but the plan is to have bucephalandra as well anubias on the hardscape.  I plan to take the back glass and have a susswassertang wall.  I want to have some pretty nice gradation of colors on the stems and focus on having species in sections.   The tank looks pretty phenomenal, it's black, dramatic, dark, and the bright colors from the fish and stem plants will do wonders.  Even deep green shows up as a very bright pop of color against the hardscape.

It'll get there.... one day at a time. 

• Like 1

@Ben P.  Great idea! My opinion would be adding tall plants like vallisneria spiralis. They could be place at background ,It fits the river theme looking, and helps you fill up the empty space in the middle of tank. Itll eventually reach to the water surface. I think it’s highly recommended for cichlids as well. Btw, is there a reason that you didn’t keep plants in this tank?  Switching to canister is a big upgrade, but since you already have fish living in (not sure for long), but I’ll suggest you keep monitoring the water parameters after the change. Have fun! 

@nabokovfan87  I think what we enjoying in this hobby isn’t only the afterwords success but also the process of pursuing it, at least this is true for me lol. Black water tank is my personal favorite as well. Susswassertang wall is a brilliant idea, I’m thinking about having one for my next tanks! Can’t wait to see it when you have some pictures! Best luck with your plan! 

• Like 1