Bristlenose various questions

Ben P.

I've bred plenty of fish over the years but never have attempted any of the various bristlenose varieties, never had much luck with them at all to be honest but I'm intrigued with attempting to breed them.  My tap water is ph 9.0+ and tds 300+ so I'm wondering if it is even worth my time to attempt? I have great luck with any livebearer, shrimp, African cichlids, ect.  I'm just thinking if I did a ton of water column plants and almost did blackwater with a ton of Indian almost leaves with minimal water changes if I could get my water to a place where they would breed?  I understand the concepts of them, but most people suggest water closer to neutral.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

On 9/15/2023 at 5:48 PM, Ben P. said:

I've bred plenty of fish over the years but never have attempted any of the various bristlenose varieties, never had much luck with them at all to be honest but I'm intrigued with attempting to breed them.  My tap water is ph 9.0+ and tds 300+ so I'm wondering if it is even worth my time to attempt? I have great luck with any livebearer, shrimp, African cichlids, ect.  I'm just thinking if I did a ton of water column plants and almost did blackwater with a ton of Indian almost leaves with minimal water changes if I could get my water to a place where they would breed?  I understand the concepts of them, but most people suggest water closer to neutral.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

You’d be better off using RO water that’s re-mineralized probably 

BNs are pretty good at making it happen all on their own, under the right circumstances. Which I think are broader than folks realize, if the first/only place you consult is the interwebs. 

If I were in your shoes I'd get 4-6 babies (preferably from a breeder, but from a store if that's not possible), and see how they do in your water without changing or tweaking it. Breeding will be SO much easier if you can get it going in your existing water, I think it's well worth the time and effort to explore whether that will work before going immediately to modified water. 

If you buy them at around 1-1.5" they should be breeding age within a year. When they reach 2" or near to it, you should be able to sex them out (maybe before, depending on the individuals). Put a few caves in when they are the right size, and see what happens. If suitably aged fish, including at least one male and one female, in a suitably furnished tank don't end up breeding, THEN start futzing with water parameters, if you still want to breed them. 

I've had success breeding smaller individuals in a 15 gallon tank. They don't need a lot of space. Canned green beans for the win in terms of staple food. 

• Like 1

I have kept and bred bristlenose for 20 years pH of 9 or above I don't think will be conducive to long term success they can live in higher pH  they won't thive long term I don't think you will get a lot of breeding success with the higher pH I keep mine  in pH of 6.8-7 and KH 3 GH 4 @Ben P.

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1