Angelfish Fighting

Joe Snow

Any advice.....I have a 75gal with 5 fully grown angels. I believe there are 2 pairs in the tank that from time to time have attempted to spawn ; until I turn the lights and all 5 eat the eggs laid....

This week, I have had all 5 stop eating. After trying different foods, I noticed that a pair of them had the other three pinned in a corner while the other 2 tend a spot on the other side of the tank....

Aside from moving the pair out.....any thoughts on this behavior ? I am amazed they wont even eat....

The tank gets perodic water changes, has a house plant growing out of the water and a wet/dry filter.....

thanks

I had a similar situation where I kept 6 angelfish in a large tank. Three pairs formed as did 3 territories. They fought like maniacs constantly as they tried to guard the borders of their territories. But in the long run, no real damage was done, just shredded fins.

If it were me I would try and find a way to let the pair have their own space.

It is surprising that angelfish will not eat. Usually they are bottomless pits when it comes to food. I would test the water parameters and think about what might have changed recently.

This time of the year my #1 water test has been temperature. Our temperature crashed from the 70s to the 30s in about 2-3 days. I was so busy winter proofing the house I hadn't noticed my fishroom heater was still turned down for summer and several tanks were in the low 70s to mid 60's. This definitely led to a change in activity and feeding vigor.

Long story short, while checking NO2/3 levels also take a look at temperature as winter may have hit your tank as well.

• Like 1

@Ken Dyer That is a great point. I have tank with 10 angelfish next to my computer where I am typing this. If I unplug the heater to do a water change and forget to plug it back in I will notice the angelfish have become incredibly sluggish.

Hmm, I wonder. Then I remember the unplugged heaters and voila! The angelfish are back to being perky again.

• Like 1