I Need a New Filter

dmurray407

I have used Fluval 07 series filters (307 and 407) for many years. The last 2 have not lasted (maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I think they should at least last a couple of years). I have a 60 gallon freshwater tank and use multiple sponge filters in it along with the Fluval. My fish load right now is pretty light-a couple of big Rainbow Fish and 6  1-2 inch fish, but I am planning to put some more smaller fish in eventually. Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations on what kind of filter folks recommend. I've been looking on Amazon and there are so many different kinds now-submersible power pumps seem to have good reviews,( but I don't always trust Amazon reviews). Any recommendations are appreciated! Thanks advance!

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 2:39 PM, dmurray407 said:

I have used Fluval 07 series filters (307 and 407) for many years. The last 2 have not lasted (maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I think they should at least last a couple of years).

It should be within warranty.... so if you haven't contact fluval.

Secondly, out of curiosity what issues are you experiencing?

What kind of filter are you looking for, is anything and everything an option?

On 9/6/2023 at 5:40 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It should be within warranty.... so if you haven't contact fluval. Good idea! Hopefully I sent my warranty stuff in 🙂

Secondly, out of curiosity what issues are you experiencing? 

After I cleaned it, it took forever to get it back up and running-it just didn't want to pump the water. It would send up a little trickle, then stop and a few minutes later it would do it again. I double checked to make sure the impeller was seated properly and it was, everything was clear. I have an inline Fluval UV clarifier and I disconnected that just in case. Eventually it just started working (after many swear words and much hair pulling). Now I'm nervous that it will happen again and I won't be able to get it started. I live quite a distance from any "real" fish supply stores so I would just as soon replace it now than have it fail completely. I'm just looking for a filter with good reviews that will work well-I'm willing to try something different, but have had canister filters for many years.

On 9/7/2023 at 1:10 AM, dmurray407 said:

Sounds interesting! Do you have one of these filters? If you have one, how often do you clean the pre filter? A built in heater would be nice.......

I use one on my 50 gallon it heavily stock has about a 150 bristlenose plecos of  various sizes  so I clean the prefilter once a week it only takes a couple of minutes to clean if my tank was lightly stock you could probably only have to clean the prefilter once a month 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 4:58 PM, dmurray407 said:

After I cleaned it, it took forever to get it back up and running-it just didn't want to pump the water. It would send up a little trickle, then stop and a few minutes later it would do it again. I double checked to make sure the impeller was seated properly and it was, everything was clear. I have an inline Fluval UV clarifier and I disconnected that just in case. Eventually it just started working (after many swear words and much hair pulling). Now I'm nervous that it will happen again and I won't be able to get it started. I live quite a distance from any "real" fish supply stores so I would just as soon replace it now than have it fail completely. I'm just looking for a filter with good reviews that will work well-I'm willing to try something different, but have had canister filters for many years.

Is it an issue of priming it not working or the pump wasn't working?  Glad it got sorted.  Hopefully it's something simple though.

HOB ---->  Marineland penguin pro is my choice right now
Optimally, maybe it's time for a sump for you.

• Like 1

I have 307s and 407s on my tanks. When I refill them after cleaning I fill them with water over the top of the filter basket cover by at least 1/4”. When I put the top (pump cover) back on the canister water will fill the hose connection area. When starting them after reinstalling under the tank they Sometimes start pumping water and then quit. I unplug them and reprime. Then start them up again and prime while running. That method seems to work. Worse case lean the canister front to back a bit to get the air cleared with the filter running. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 4:33 AM, Pepere said:

Fluval recommends replacing the impeller once a year.

I’ll try replacing the impeller before replacing the filter. Thanks for the suggestion. I used to always let the canister fill by gravity-not sure when we started filling it beforehand.T Maybe I need to reread all those instructions 🙂

On 9/7/2023 at 9:44 AM, Pepere said:

above amazon link bundles the impeller, with shaft and rubber bushing, impeller seal, and motorhead o ring…

Thank you!  I just ordered this kit this morning and it should arrive in a few days (I love Amazon...). It seems to be working well this morning-good water flow and the fish all seem happy.