CYCLE CRASHED, Fish and snail stil alive, NEED HELP

IsisP

Hello, here is a beginner a little worried but who refuses to give up.

Short story, I had been trying to do a Fish in cycle with a Guppy and Mystery Snail. Everything was under control until I started to have high nitrite levels after introducing the Guppy, so I had to do some water changes as an emergency to get rid of that and I finally did it. I tried to control it with Seachem Prime and Stability, but I still had to water change almost 25% two times. Also, I suffered a sudden fall in my Kh and Ph levels to almost 0 and 6.0 ppm respectively. I decided to add crushed coral to fix it, and it worked.

Then last week I had a sudden Ammonia Spike of almost 0.50 ppm and my guppy and snail almost survived. I used Seachem Amguard to control it and it worked.

I have not changed any water since that. Now my levels are SEPT 1st: GH 180 ppm KH 40 ppm pH 7.0 Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 0 Ammonia 0.

Type of filter: AQUEON QUIETFLOW 10

Tank size: 10 G

Plants: 2 Anubias nana and 2 Java Ferns.

Population: 1 male Guppy and Mystery Snail.

Chemicals: Seachem Prime, Seachem Stability, Seachem Flourish for plants, API Quick Start for bacteria.

I would love to give my guppy friends, but I need help with the cycle and hope he doesn't get into more trouble with it. I know Fish in Cycle is not recommendable but it its what I have now. 

Any help is welcomed, and sorry. I want to be successful in this hobby.  

On 9/1/2023 at 3:47 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I agree with jetts, when I do fish in cycling I change water every day. It takes longer but it's worked for me without putting the fish through too much stress. I will say however that Prime will definitely be your friend and I would keep dosing that. 

Thank you! And about the guppy, its ook keep him alone or should I consider bringing two more? I am still planning to set up a quarantine tub

• Like 1

Isis don't worry, guppy will be fine until your cycle improves. Bringing on more fish now will just cause you problems. In the meantime you can consider the things you need to set up a QT. :classic_biggrin: 

Since you are already showing ammonia and then nitrite it shouldn't be too long until the cycle is ready!

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2023 at 4:18 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Since you are already showing ammonia and then nitrite it shouldn't be too long until the cycle is ready!

YEAH, that gives me some hope and faith. I feel like in this forum people are kinder than in Facebook groups. I have another little question, If I have to change my filter cartridge can I put the old one into the tank to avoid losing bacteria for a while and then a new one in the filter chamber? I am doing my research to get rid of cartridges. 

• Like 2

@IsisP YES you can absolutely keep that filter and leave it in the newly cycled tank- and put it in the QT tank when ready just bump start the QT. I also recommend taking a tank decoration, plant or rocks from a cycled tank and putting them in a QT. I usually run a small sponge filter in my tanks that I can switch out and instantly cycle a QT tank but that's all considerations for what is best for your situation. 

I see you run a quiet flow, I personally love them, but I no longer use their filters. When you feel brave, get yourself some coarse sponge (and fine sponge if you need it) cut it to fit the filter area and put that in instead. Then all you need to do occasionally is take the sponge(s) out to clean them then just pop them back in! (coarse sponge lasts longer than fine) When you do that you can also put some crushed coral in the filter box as well, that helps with your gh/kh and is better than just putting it in the substrate (so they say) as the water flows constantly around it. 

(I AGREE, we on the forum are much nicer than FB! 😉)

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2023 at 2:55 PM, IsisP said:

I have another little question, If I have to change my filter cartridge can I put the old one into the tank to avoid losing bacteria for a while and then a new one in the filter chamber? I am doing my research to get rid of cartridges. 

If you need anything with regards to the filter please feel free to ask.  There is a lot of threads on here with filter mods of various things.  The goal there being to get some sponge and ceramics in there.

You can take the old cartridge and literally just leave it in the tank against the back glass near where you have the intake tube on the filter.  That will keep the bacteria going in a high flow situation and also be able to let the new media cycle in. 

I would secondly add a small air pump and an airstone just to help out.  It's a small thing, but having a 10G HoB on a 10G tank can be a bit light in terms of aeration.  With ammonia and with nitrite in the water, even long term, adding that aeration will help out.

On 9/1/2023 at 4:55 PM, IsisP said:

YEAH, that gives me some hope and faith. I feel like in this forum people are kinder than in Facebook groups. I have another little question, If I have to change my filter cartridge can I put the old one into the tank to avoid losing bacteria for a while and then a new one in the filter chamber? I am doing my research to get rid of cartridges. 

As mentioned above, leaving the old cartridge in the filter with the new one for a few weeks is a great idea, but you shouldn't need to change it very often.  You can rinse in the the bucket when you do a water change to get most of the gunk off of it, and put it back.

After your tank is well seasoned (6 months old or more), you can rinse it under the faucet, but I wouldn't do that yet.

Don't replace the cartridge until the old one is falling apart.  I know the directions that came with the filter say to change them often, but while I try not to be too cynical, I wouldn't be surprised if that has something to do with the same company selling the filter and the cartridges.