Hello from Australia!

Hi everyone, 

I have really enjoyed reading the forums so just wanted to pop in and say hi!

My family have been keeping goldfish for a while now - over 12 years, and in the last year have set up a couple more tanks, which we love.

Our current tanks are:

outdoor pond - 280 litres - 5 goldfish, including Bobby who is 11 years old but unfortunately a little sick at the moment.

40 litres - 1 betta and 2 sterbei cories (they are quite happy in this tank). We now know cories are best kept in larger groups so will add to this tank soon.

182 litres - live plants, driftwood and lava rocks. 4 panda cories (2 are juvies we accidentally bred!), 2 pepper cories (they keep spawning so we have a grow out tank with around 50 fry - will move a few over when they are large enough), 4 rummy nose tetras, 5 glo light tetras, 2 angel fish, 2 male dwarf gourami, 1 peppermint pleco and 1 brown bn pleco.

As mentioned also we have a grow out tank filled with pepper fry - we will give some to our LFS and not sure what it do with the others.

Thank you for reading!

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum!  It’s a bit late here in the USA for much traffic.  It is an international forum but the majority of the members are still US based but growing more internationally all the time.  We all love hearing about how fishkeeping goes around the world.

Sterbais are one of my favorite cories!  I’d like to get some pandas but don’t currently have a tank that’s just right for them.  I’ve already got lineage 9 cories in my 2 biggest tanks and don’t want to risk any hybrids.  I’ve got a few tanks occupied right now with pleco growouts, others occupied with other fish in quarantine, some tanks are live food cultures, etc, etc.  So my panda dreams will have to wait a bit.  Good to hear you’re having such success with cories!

Try finding a local fish club / aquarium society.  That’s often your best bet for local sales, trading fish, or rehoming excess fry.

• Love 1

@Maree from Melbourne I know Brisbane is up the coast from you a ways, but might be worth checking KeepingFishSimple's site. He has a lot of connections throughout the eastern to southeastern coasts from what I understand. Might be able to get some links to site you can sell and ship nearby there. Pretty cool they are spawning without you doing anything, my Gold Lasers are quite regularly but just 1 at a time makes it not 50!! 😂 Anyways, welcome to the forum!! 

On 8/29/2023 at 3:53 AM, Guppysnail said:

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing about your fishy adventures in Australia. 

Thank you 🐟🐠

On 8/26/2023 at 2:21 AM, Flipper said:

@Maree from Melbourne

Welcome to the forum.  I'm a fish keeper from Dallas, TX.  I would love to visit Melbourne 😍  some day.  Glad you found us!

Thank you! I am also glad to have found you guys - such an informative and welcoming group 

On 8/29/2023 at 4:12 AM, JChristophersAdventures said:

@Maree from Melbourne Hello from middle America, welcome to the forum! Nice mix of fish. Nothing beats a good community tank in my opinion.

It’s so great, I can spend hours just watching them and I also love the maintenance (is that weird?!)

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 6:21 AM, Shadow said:

@Maree from Melbourne I know Brisbane is up the coast from you a ways, but might be worth checking KeepingFishSimple's site. He has a lot of connections throughout the eastern to southeastern coasts from what I understand. Might be able to get some links to site you can sell and ship nearby there. Pretty cool they are spawning without you doing anything, my Gold Lasers are quite regularly but just 1 at a time makes it not 50!! 😂 Anyways, welcome to the forum!! 

I do love watching Keeping Fish Simple videos on YT as well as Aquarium Coop vids. It’s so easy to go down a rabbit hole with videos but so great as well !   I have had to let the eggs be eaten at the moment as I don’t have tank space.  Will work on being able to sell/gift to other hobbyists as I do love watching the fry grow 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 7:28 AM, Maree from Melbourne said:

Thank you for the tip….I’ll check his channel! 

Also check out one of my favorite gals on YT, Kaity's Cichlids...she's friends with KFS and his crew. She has some awesome vids out from her travels recently to NA. 🙂 

Edited by Shadow
  • Love 1