What would you do?

Cinnebuns

I have a mutt colony of guppies which I'm culling to try to get certain traits. Not 100% a making my own strain thing but basically kinda. One trait I'm culling for is the color blue. Red is dominant over blue and therefore can easily ruin my time so I immediately pull any juvenile that develops red. Today I noticed a male is developing red. Male is dangerous because he can spread that red to ALL the females. He also does have a fully formed gonopodium. 

Now comes the issue, I have been treating the colony for parasites and the treatment is not complete. In addition, I currently am having issues with almost all of my tanks and don't really have a good option to put him in.  My best options to put him in he would still be the only guppy. Most he would even be the only fish among snails. He could go in my 29 with thicklipped and honey gourami and pseudomugil rainbowfish. None of these tanks could he continue the parasite treatment in though.  I could setup a little 2.5 gallon just for him and treat him in there but im also running low on spaces to even put a tank, but i could make it happen if i have to. 

I did just have the thought that since I have some new juveniles coloring up, maybe some more red will pop out in the next days since they are likely siblings. So maybe he won't be alone? 2.5 is still a TINY tank for multiple guppies. 

So, what would you do?

@Guppysnail

Edit to add:  I suppose I could do some swapping too. I have a temporary 5 gallon setup because of all the tank issues that is only housing 4 mini rabbit snails and 2 nerites. Maybe they go in the 2.5 and the cull guppies in the 5 for now?  Ugh. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 9:14 PM, Guppysnail said:

He needs to finish his treatment before contacting fish not being treated. Separate qt is your only option if you are set on not passing the red along. 

That's what I'm thinking too. Do you think 2.5 for 1-3 guppies is sufficient for hospital or should I swap with the snails?

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 9:19 PM, Guppysnail said:

The 2.5. You do not want anti parasites meds in contact with a tank you may rerun snail to. 

Ok sounds good. Ty

On 8/22/2023 at 9:20 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

@Cinnebuns Do you have a floating or hang on breeder box you can move them to and finish treatment in that tank?

OH YOU ARE SMART. YES!!

I have a large fluval hang on

• Like 2

@Cinnebuns Correct me if I'm wrong, but some meds play havoc with dissolved oxygen levels and I also understand the breeder boxes can have lower levels of oxygen than the surrounding tank they are in? In this instance does it make sense to drop an air-stone into one end of the breeder box, especially when treating with meds? Thanks.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2023 at 9:29 AM, JChristophersAdventures said:

@Cinnebuns Correct me if I'm wrong, but some meds play havoc with dissolved oxygen levels and I also understand the breeder boxes can have lower levels of oxygen than the surrounding tank they are in? In this instance does it make sense to drop an air-stone into one end of the breeder box, especially when treating with meds? Thanks.

Wise yes!  That is all accurate. The box does have a constant flow of water but it never hurts to be cautious.