Finding tank-mates for a red eye red tail puffer

Gannon

Hello! My puffer is doing very well in a 15 gallon tank all by himself, though I would like to get a small active fish to add a little extra pop to the blackwater tank. When in quarantine this pufferfish did pick on a cory cat before they were seperated so obviously this fish's compatibility with other fish is in question. 

I really would like something like ember tetras or something similar. Would these be fast enough that the puffer wouldnt be able to pick on them and get bored of chasing them? Or is that just unrealistic? Would it be better to just leave him alone, or would it be beneficial or at least worthwhile to try something like a couple of my endlers in the tank to see how he reacts to faster, harder to pick on fish?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice you all can offer! If it doesn't work out that I can give him tank-mates that perfectly fine I still love the look of a less busy tank! 

• Like 1

Let's ping @mountaintoppufferkeeper for any insights here.

A 15-gal aquarium may be too small an area to reasonably house many other species if your puffer is "nippy." Especially if there's only one, you might find your'e dealing with a rogue element. In nature, very. very few fish thrive in isolation. Even Puffers are often found in groups.

You might consider beginning with a look through all of the Indonesian endemic Freshwater Fish species:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indonesian_endemic_freshwater_fishes

You might need to get a larger tank, but certain Rainbowfish might work. Various Betta Species might be considered. Bear in mind that big, hobby-line bred ornamental tails are probably likely to get nipped up. 

Gianne over at Inglorious Bettas did a little rambling vlog on these years back...

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 9:52 PM, Fish Folk said:

Let's ping @mountaintoppufferkeeper for any insights here.

A 15-gal aquarium may be too small an area to reasonably house many other species if your puffer is "nippy." Especially if there's only one, you might find your'e dealing with a rogue element. In nature, very. very few fish thrive in isolation. Even Puffers are often found in groups.

You might consider beginning with a look through all of the Indonesian endemic Freshwater Fish species:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indonesian_endemic_freshwater_fishes

You might need to get a larger tank, but certain Rainbowfish might work. Various Betta Species might be considered. Bear in mind that big, hobby-line bred ornamental tails are probably likely to get nipped up. 

Gianne over at Inglorious Bettas did a little rambling vlog on these years back...

I’ll see what I can do with fast fish. My fish store owner says he keeps groups of these puffers with dwarf rainbows and it works great, but yeah it’s probably not the size for those

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 10:35 PM, Fish Folk said:

A non-sequitur aside note... I like your thumbnail. We raised EBAs a while back. I have acquired some Congo Tetras, and would love to try them with EBAs again someday.

His name is Blue Man and he’s a rescue. Best fish I’ve ever had and he was free.

• Like 1

Thanksfor the puffer signal @Fish Folk :). @Gannon 

When in quarantine this pufferfish did pick on a cory cat before they were seperated so obviously this fish's compatibility with other fish is in question

I have never had success with puffers and bottom dwellers of any kind. Those types of fish seem to freeze vs flight and the puffers will "investigate" them non-stop. 

......ember tetras or something similar. Would these be fast enough that the puffer wouldnt be able to pick on them and get bored of chasing them?Or is that just unrealistic?

In my limited puffer keeping experiences they have been more likely to view small faster peaceful (non fin nippers non territorial) top and midwater swimmers as generally tolerable tankmates. If its too fast and too aggressive they will pick on the puffer. I personally view everything in a puffer tank as a tankmate subject to what the puffer decides. The puffer may just decide one day,and without warning, it would be more fun to hunt than have tankmates. 

Would it be better to just leave him alone, or would it be beneficial or at least worthwhile to try something like a couple of my endlers in the tank to see how he reacts to faster, harder to pick on fish 

I am partial to puffer groups the behaviors are noticably different and interesting for me up here. I did keep 2 male and 3 female red tail red eyes in a planted 40 breeder longterm without any trouble and for a couple of weeks in a 20 high prior to shipping them out to share them with a friend. Having a few females in there with him and some plants could get you some really nice behaviors and keep your puffer engaged and displaying that courtship coloration and displays. 

40 breeder red tail red eye colony:

Screenshot_20230621_055735_Gallery.jpg.9847b4fa15c0bd70699623c91cdb5dd9.jpg

Screenshot_20230621_055806_Gallery.jpg.471bccaca269db3ebcfb5e4c8a62de6c.jpg

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

On 8/21/2023 at 11:03 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

Thanksfor the puffer signal @Fish Folk :). @Gannon 

When in quarantine this pufferfish did pick on a cory cat before they were seperated so obviously this fish's compatibility with other fish is in question

I have never had success with puffers and bottom dwellers of any kind. Those types of fish seem to freeze vs flight and the puffers will "investigate" them non-stop. 

......ember tetras or something similar. Would these be fast enough that the puffer wouldnt be able to pick on them and get bored of chasing them?Or is that just unrealistic?

In my limited puffer keeping experiences they have been more likely to view small faster peaceful (non fin nippers non territorial) top and midwater swimmers as generally tolerable tankmates. If its too fast and too aggressive they will pick on the puffer. I personally view everything in a puffer tank as a tankmate subject to what the puffer decides. The puffer may just decide one day,and without warning, it would be more fun to hunt than have tankmates. 

Would it be better to just leave him alone, or would it be beneficial or at least worthwhile to try something like a couple of my endlers in the tank to see how he reacts to faster, harder to pick on fish 

I am partial to puffer groups the behaviors are noticably different and interesting for me up here. I did keep 2 male and 3 female red tail red eyes in a planted 40 breeder longterm without any trouble amd for a couple of weeks in a 20 high prior to shipping them out to share them with a friend. Having a few females in there with him and some plants could get you some really nice behaviors and keep your puffer engaged and displaying that courtship coloration and displays. 

40 breeder red tail red eye colony:

Screenshot_20230621_055735_Gallery.jpg.9847b4fa15c0bd70699623c91cdb5dd9.jpg

Screenshot_20230621_055806_Gallery.jpg.471bccaca269db3ebcfb5e4c8a62de6c.jpg

I thought about this but didn’t see even one female at the store even though there were many males. I’ll keep my eye out for a female friend or two to give him.

It’s hard to get in the mind of a fish but for now he seems very happy exploring and hunting for snails and loves looking at me and my roomates, but I’ll see what I can do for tankmates to give him some extra enrichment. 

It seems like the female redeyes are rare to be sent by the exporters but there are some spots that get in females regularly; I assume the exporters try and send nearly all males to stores; the color on the males may be be more desireable to most buyers than the smaller less colorful females. 

Puffers are pretty awesome. Im a little biased though :). 

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 2

From my experience with pea puffer ( yes i know they're diffrent) and she lived peacefully with 8 ember tetra after about 1 death, i will say those little guys are faster then any fish you can put in. i think itll all come down to the fish its self. i do hope you can find something.. im in the process of trying to find tank mates for him i think im about to let it be tho hes a pain.

• Like 1

To second @mountaintoppufferkeeperthey did not do well with guppies but did ok with dwarf platies. I could see dwarf rainbows being ok but in general rainbows are dumb and nosy and well may end up with some fin damage. 
They kept going after bristlenose plecos so the no bottom dwellers is pretty legit. 
Mine in a ratio of 1 male to 2 females + did the best behavior, color and attitude wise. 

• Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 2:51 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

To second @mountaintoppufferkeeperthey did not do well with guppies but did ok with dwarf platies. I could see dwarf rainbows being ok but in general rainbows are dumb and nosy and well may end up with some fin damage. 
They kept going after bristlenose plecos so the no bottom dwellers is pretty legit. 
Mine in a ratio of 1 male to 2 females + did the best behavior, color and attitude wise. 

Would 3 including 2 females work in a 15 gallon is my main question, then I’d actually have to find some haha

Is a 15 gallon 24"x12"x12"?

I'd give a 1 male 2 female red eye red tail puffer a shot in a 15. Of course more space is always better.

2 males and 3 females worked for me in a 20 prior to sending the group out.  I always run some live plants like subwassertang etc to allow for the ability to hide when they want to. i never had a split fin in that group. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 8:28 AM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

Is a 15 gallon 24"x12"x12"?

I'd give a 1 male 2 female red eye red tail puffer a shot in a 15. Of course more space is always better.

2 males and 3 females worked for me in a 20 prior to sending the group out.  I always run some live plants like subwassertang etc to allow for the ability to hide when they want to. i never had a split fin in that group. 

It’s actually a fluval flex 15, so less surface area