Golden White Clouds

JE47

Hi, I was wondering weather anyone could offer some help with my white cloud mountain minnow breeding project. I have a ratio of 7M/3F and was wondering what is the best way to go about breeding them? How soon does it take the eggs to Hatch and can the newborns eat microworms right away?

On 8/17/2023 at 5:04 PM, JE47 said:

Hi, I was wondering weather anyone could offer some help with my white cloud mountain minnow breeding project. I have a ratio of 7M/3F and was wondering what is the best way to go about breeding them? How soon does it take the eggs to Hatch and can the newborns eat microworms right away?

That ratio is fine but that's alot of breeder in my opinion.

I normally put 2 pair in a fully planted aquarium and wait til you see freeswimming fry. They are very small and won't be able to to microworm right away...I recommend using a very fine powder to start with

I recently had luck breeding my gold minnows. I had to take them away from the main tank, moved 5 to a breeder tank (3 females, 2 males, 54liters, just these fish and some rabbit snails), left them there for 3 or so days, removed them. 5-7 days later I saw a free swimming fry. I alternated feeding protogen, hikari first bite. After about a week microworms two or more weeks freshly hatched bbs. Three times a day feeding resulted in fry being one third of adult size in 5-6 weeks and were moved back to parents tank, where it was accepted as part of shoal, though they are being chased away sometimes by males.

Feeding them as part of the shoal is harder now, I cant feed that many times the adults, they are already fat as is, so the fry is growing slower.

I als must note I had some moss and thanks to the parents being there and the snails being there, only 4 fry hatched....For me it was enough