Fish with parental instincts suggestions

Kieflow

Hello all, I’m looking for suggestions for my next breeding project. Specifically, I’m looking for fish that have strong parental instincts for their fry. I’d like something that can be kept in a 20 long or smaller. Thanks! 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 1:14 PM, Kieflow said:

Hello all, I’m looking for suggestions for my next breeding project. Specifically, I’m looking for fish that have strong parental instincts for their fry. I’d like something that can be kept in a 20 long or smaller. Thanks! 

I can second the Apistogramma cacatuoides, unless you want parental behavior from both parents. My two apisto moms are attentive momma bears; with the two dads, they've mostly not been a threat to the fry but also don't help at all.

I have no first hand experience breeding any of the following, but I think both Bolivian rams and German blue rams provide parental care. Bristlenose pleco males guard fry, as do some (all?) gourami species.

On 8/12/2023 at 4:36 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I have no first hand experience breeding any of the following, but I think both Bolivian rams and German blue rams provide parental care. Bristlenose pleco males guard fry, as do some (all?) gourami species.

My bristlenose pleco males will guard and fan the eggs until they hatch, but after that they are on their own. Seems like the apistos might be the way to go! 

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2023 at 5:27 PM, Kieflow said:

My bristlenose pleco males will guard and fan the eggs until they hatch, but after that they are on their own. Seems like the apistos might be the way to go! 

See, that's why I'm always torn between "I think I might something useful" and "but I don't have any firsthand experience with it".

Thanks for the correction!

On 8/12/2023 at 7:47 PM, tolstoy21 said:

Yeah I vote for apistos too. Or some kind of mouth brooder.

Ooh, a mouth broader could be cool!

• Like 1