Siamese Algae Eaters

Susan - Jennifer

Hi, I recently purchased 8 Siamese Algae Eaters from agua huna mainly to help control the algae in my 125 gallon.   They are schooling around the tank with my 5 roseline sharks.   3 roselines are 6” and 2 are about 1 1/2” , same size as the  Siamese Algae Eaters.   Why are they not eating algae and hanging on the sides of the glass?  I’ve not had Siamese Algae Eaters since since the 80’s and only recall they were loners always hanging on the sides of the tank or hiding under caves.   Has anyone experienced this ?

thank you for any comments to help me understand what is going on.  Susan

• Like 1

In my experience, they prefer mature algae mats and will not generally eat the stuff growing on the side of the glass. They also eat a varied diet and need to be eating sinking pellets as well as algae wafers to supplement their diet

In addition they are shy creatures and take some time to warm up to the tanks dynamic. 

• Like 4

There are many fish that to be sold under the SAE name but there is only one true SAE. Are you sure you got the true SAE?

Here I explained it to my best knowledge before. The SAE pics seem to be down for some reason:

This is a juvenile sae: Grey color, only two whiskers on mouth, the black stripe goes to the end of the tail

True Siamese Algae Eaters SAE – Nano Tanks Australia Aquarium Shop

On 8/12/2023 at 5:07 PM, Susan - Jennifer said:

Why are they not eating algae and hanging on the sides of the glass?  I’ve not had Siamese Algae Eaters since since the 80’s and only recall they were loners always hanging on the sides of the tank or hiding under caves.

I have a trio, mine are very active since I got them as tiny babies, all over the driftwood, plant leaves and rock surfaces looking for algae, but always swimming not hanging on somewhere really. They start to be lazier when they start growing.

Also do you mean attaching to a glass or anything, like otos? Because they don't have the sucker mouth. Can yours be CAE?

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not only do many of these so-called "algae eaters" not eat much algae, but they can grow a lot bigger than most people are wanting, especially when it comes to communities of nano fish. Unfortunately, on-line fish sellers are often at the mercy of their suppliers and those suppliers aren't always truthful or accurate in identifying what they sell. The smaller the fish, the more difficult it is to tell exactly what they are.

I am no expert on these, even though I had them back in the 90s, too. I don't think it is the same fish, although it seems they all eat less and less algae over time, as they get bigger and lazier (kind of reminds me of how my pet cats over the years would stop hunting mice... everybody's out for the "easy" meal, it seems! lol)

I am sticking to otos, as in my experience they are more up to the job... and the common ones stay small. Thanks.

• Like 1

They may not be eating too much algae because they are too well fed.

Mine will occasionally shoal together in one corner or another, but not attach to the glass.  more often, they form a loose group, and seem to enjoy chasing and being chased by the other fish.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 10:42 AM, Lennie said:

There are many fish that to be sold under the SAE name but there is only one true SAE. Are you sure you got the true SAE?

Here I explained it to my best knowledge before. The SAE pics seem to be down for some reason:

This is a juvenile sae: Grey color, only two whiskers on mouth, the black stripe goes to the end of the tail

True Siamese Algae Eaters SAE – Nano Tanks Australia Aquarium Shop

I have a trio, mine are very active since I got them as tiny babies, all over the driftwood, plant leaves and rock surfaces looking for algae, but always swimming not hanging on somewhere really. They start to be lazier when they start growing.

Also do you mean attaching to a glass or anything, like otos? Because they don't have the sucker mouth. Can yours be CAE?

Yes, that sounds like that they are doing, they are constantly swimming and all 8 school together.   The are true SAE, I verified them with the many pictures on the internet.  They are quite young as they are only about 1little over an inch long.   Thank you! 

On 8/12/2023 at 1:37 PM, Tanked said:

They may not be eating too much algae because they are too well fed.

Mine will occasionally shoal together in one corner or another, but not attach to the glass.  more often, they form a loose group, and seem to enjoy chasing and being chased by the other fish.

Thank you! Yes, sounds like them.  

On 8/12/2023 at 12:32 PM, Ninjoma said:

Mine SAEs also like to school with my roseline sharks. They don't really eat algae off of glass in my experience, but may nibble on other algaes. 

Thank you!!

• Like 2

On 8/12/2023 at 11:04 AM, JChristophersAdventures said:

Not only do many of these so-called "algae eaters" not eat much algae, but they can grow a lot bigger than most people are wanting, especially when it comes to communities of nano fish. Unfortunately, on-line fish sellers are often at the mercy of their suppliers and those suppliers aren't always truthful or accurate in identifying what they sell. The smaller the fish, the more difficult it is to tell exactly what they are.

I am no expert on these, even though I had them back in the 90s, too. I don't think it is the same fish, although it seems they all eat less and less algae over time, as they get bigger and lazier (kind of reminds me of how my pet cats over the years would stop hunting mice... everybody's out for the "easy" meal, it seems! lol)

I am sticking to otos, as in my experience they are more up to the job... and the common ones stay small. Thanks.

Thank you? I have ottos in my 75 gallon and love them.  I try to have different fish in each tank.  

• Like 2