I need some clarification about Kanaplex

Lennie

Hey guys,

Especially @Odd Duck and @Colu and whoever is interested in/knowledgeable about medicines.

There is something I don’t understand about Kanaplex, and I wanted to ask here so maybe it is any help to anyone who sees this.

I have been seeing a lot of conflicting info being stated about using kanaplex online. 

some say it dissolves in the water well and fish take it through gills. Some say it is better to mix with focus and feed it as a food, especially in internal problems that might be triggering bacterial infection causing ending up as a dropsy sendrome. Some say it is not absorbed well by the gut. And so on.

so my question is: is dosing the water column general best option? Is there any specific occasions where dosing the water column or feeding in food should be preferred instead? 

I would appreciate if you guys can provide some clarity.

Thank you!

P.S: @Guppysnail I couldn’t be sure whether to post this here or to diseases. As it is some sort of a discussion, I started it here. Please change its location if you think it does not belong here :)

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 8:09 AM, Lennie said:

Hey guys,

Especially @Odd Duck and @Colu and whoever is interested in/knowledgeable about medicines.

There is something I don’t understand about Kanaplex, and I wanted to ask here so maybe it is any help to anyone who sees this.

I have been seeing a lot of conflicting info being stated about using kanaplex online. 

some say it dissolves in the water well and fish take it through gills. Some say it is better to mix with focus and feed it as a food, especially in internal problems that might be triggering bacterial infection causing ending up as a dropsy sendrome. Some say it is not absorbed well by the gut. And so on.

so my question is: is dosing the water column general best option? Is there any specific occasions where dosing the water column or feeding in food should be preferred instead? 

I would appreciate if you guys can provide some clarity.

Thank you!

P.S: @Guppysnail I couldn’t be sure whether to post this here or to diseases. As it is some sort of a discussion, I started it here. Please change its location if you think it does not belong here 🙂

Kanaplex is best used to dose the tank the active ingredient kanamycin sulfate is poorly abosrb by the gut when added to food what I do mix the medication in a jug till it's dissolved and distribute it evenly  over the surface of the aquarium maraycn 2 is good alternative antibiotic treatment to kanaplex when added to food when added to the tank kanaplex is adsorbed by the fish so it can treat internal infection some antibiotic treatment such as maraycn active ingredient erythromycin isn't effective at treating internal bacterial infections unless added to food so your essential wasting money adding it to the tank to treat internal infection 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2023 at 1:31 PM, Colu said:

Kanaplex is best used to dose the tank the active ingredient kanamycin sulfate is poorly abosrb by the gut when added to food what I do mix the medication in a jug till it's dissolved and distribute it evenly  over the surface of the aquarium maraycn 2 is good alternative antibiotic treatment to kanaplex when added to food when added to the tank kanaplex is adsorbed by the fish so it can treat internal infection some antibiotic treatment such as maraycn active ingredient erythromycin isn't effective at treating internal bacterial infections unless added to food so your essential wasting money adding it to the tank to treat internal infection 

Thank you Colu

That brings a question on my mind. You know Sera Baktotabs are directly sold as antibiotic food. It is also kind of a broad spectrum antibiotic right, but a different kind, Nifurpirinol? 

Is Kanaplex the specific antibiotic that isnt absorbed well inside the body? Can nifurpirinol be absorbed well, or else why is it being sold as a food form by Sera 🤔 Is this a good substiture for Kanaplex overall? I'm asking this because Baktotabs is much easier for me to source than Kanaplex. We dont have Maracyn here.

Directly taken the following from Sera's website:

"Food tablets against bacterial infections

The easily digestible and particularly tasty food tablets for freshwater and marine fish quickly and safely combat bacterial infections such as bacterial dropsy (fish show symptoms such as slimy feces, bloated belly, protruding scales and bulging eyes).

This special food must be fed exclusively until the fish have recovered entirely."

https://www.sera.de/us/product/freshwater-aquarium/sera-bakto-tabs/

On 8/12/2023 at 4:27 PM, Lennie said:

Thank you Colu

That brings a question on my mind. You know Sera Baktotabs are directly sold as antibiotic food. It is also kind of a broad spectrum antibiotic right, but a different kind, Nifurpirinol? 

Is Kanaplex the specific antibiotic that isnt absorbed well inside the body? Can nifurpirinol be absorbed well, or else why is it being sold as a food form by Sera 🤔 Is this a good substiture for Kanaplex overall? I'm asking this because Baktotabs is much easier for me to source than Kanaplex. We dont have Maracyn here.

Directly taken the following from Sera's website:

"Food tablets against bacterial infections

The easily digestible and particularly tasty food tablets for freshwater and marine fish quickly and safely combat bacterial infections such as bacterial dropsy (fish show symptoms such as slimy feces, bloated belly, protruding scales and bulging eyes).

This special food must be fed exclusively until the fish have recovered entirely."

https://www.sera.de/us/product/freshwater-aquarium/sera-bakto-tabs/

Nifurpirinol is an antibiotic treatment that was developed for the treatment of fish in aquaculture system from what have read it's a good antibiotic medication to add to food some resistance to the antibiotic has built up over the years due to over use so there are better antibiotic treatments available it still effective at treating a wide range of diseases 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 2