Fluval 207 not keeping the water clear

badpotato39

Hello there!

I installed a new fluval 207 two days ago.  Everything has gone smoothly.  No leaks, no issues with priming, flow seems good.  It just isn't getting the water clean.  It's installed on a planted 29g tall with the intake on the back left and outlet on the back right pointing towards the front.  I replaced the black sponge with the aquaclear 70 sponge (cut to size) and put in filter floss in replace of the carbon.  I also added the phosphate pad and added matrix from my old hob.  Clearly something is wrong as this filter should keep my water clear.  Any thoughts on what that might be?

Thanks!

Maybe put the inlet and outlet next to each other in the same corner with the outlet pointing across the tank? I think that's how many canister users do it - but I don't have one so please correct me if I'm wrong! 

A pic would help - what's not clean about the water? 

On 8/11/2023 at 2:46 PM, badpotato39 said:

I replaced the black sponge with the aquaclear 70 sponge (cut to size) and put in filter floss in replace of the carbon.  I also added the phosphate pad and added matrix from my old hob.  Clearly something is wrong as this filter should keep my water clear.  Any thoughts on what that might be?

Considering it's a new filter it could just be a matter of time.

The fluval filters come with a blue dimpled foam that is pretty solid stuff.  Ultimately that is the foam I would recommend over the aquaclear stuff. One thing you'd want to keep in mind is the porosity. Finer foams help to polish the water. Using the AC foam as a pre filter is probably fine and it gives you a course external mechanical filtration as well as the internal finer blue foam inside the canister. Following the canister you'd have something like the phosphate pad or a fine pad if need be as well. That alone should give the water all the clarification you need.

Barring that, something is causing microbubbles which is then giving a cloudy appearance.

Beyond that.... Video or photos would be helpful to identify the issue.

On 8/11/2023 at 3:50 PM, Pepere said:

And I agree with @MattyM, moving the intake and outlet together, aiming the outlet across the back…

Agreed. Video above is a great resource. Here is another.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 4:47 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Considering it's a new filter it could just be a matter of time.

On 8/12/2023 at 5:37 AM, Pepere said:

I would question the addition of a phosphate pad in the filter if one has never tested their phosphate levels in the tank.  

I agree with these two statements. 
The filter needs time to grow enough bacteria to to do the job at optimal levels. 
Also your plants need phosphates to grow. Removing them entirely will harm your plants. The phos pads are not recommended for planted tanks unless the phos in your water is extreme. 

BTW Welcome to the forum. Always great to see new members. 

UPDATE:

Thank you all for your advice! 

The issue is solved and this is how I got there:

(The tank has been running for 6 months with an AC 50 and medium sponge filter.  I hated the substrate and the way I originally set up the hardscape so I swapped 50% of the substrate, moved all of the hardscape and plants around to fit the tank better AND installed a canister filter in the same day. Oh, and I moved my HOB filter media into the canister and added new media into the hob instead of just putting new media into the canister and continuing to run the hob for a while.  I almost crashed my tank.  Do not do what I did lol.)

1) I removed the phosphate pad and already dark brown polishing pad that came with it.

2) The bottom compartment is now 75% coarse sponge and 25% filter floss and the upper two are a mix of established matrix and the bio rings that came with the canister.

3) I did a 50% water change.  During this I dumped a bunch of Fritz Zyme 7 directly into the canister media and moved a sponge filter from another tank to this one.  Added a good amount of easy green and root tabbed the heck out of my stem plants.  I also added a couple pounds of crushed coral into the substrate to help keep my KH a bit higher.

3) After watching the video that was linked I moved both the intake and outlet to the right side of the tank so the water is flowing across the length of the tank. I ordered the vinyl tubing from home depot and lily pipes from amazon.  I ran a spray bar pointed slightly upward in the meantime.  Moving the intake and outlet is what truly solved my problem with the micro particles making the tank look dirty.

I woke up the next day and the tank was clearer than I've ever seen it.  Nitrites still a touch high so will keep doing 20-30% water changes till it levels back out.  Today I got the lily pipes and vinyl tubing installed.   Water parameters are back to manageable. 

The only thing I'm still contemplating is adding an air stone....but if I add an air  stone I should just add a sponge filter.  What are your thoughts on doing that?

Thanks all!

• Love 1

On 8/13/2023 at 11:41 AM, badpotato39 said:

The only thing I'm still contemplating is adding an air stone....but if I add an air  stone I should just add a sponge filter.  What are your thoughts on doing that?

I don't think you need to go sponge filter at all  A stone is a bit easier to hide.  If you're feeling festive try a bubble wall even.