Is a 13 year old aquairum used as a terrarium still safe to use?

Gannon

I got an old aquarium (not terrarium, made for fish) that says it was made in 2012 on a label on the inside of the plastic trim. It was used by my coworker at least as a snake enclosure. It’s a 20g long and looks in good condition besides a little wood chips I need to vacuum out. Would this tank still be safe to use? I have a picture of the tank and also the place I want to put it beneath my 125 gallon tank. Would the tank also be okay with that gap in the middle? I know it won’t look great, just trying to move a dwarf puffer into the 15g the shell dwellers are in and would like to keep the shell dwellers without spending more money and space than I have to. Thanks for any help you can offer! 

DAD9D9E3-C0B3-42A3-8ACA-AFCF196B35C2.jpeg

4BC54E62-0420-4852-87AC-7239629E779B.jpeg

7D107CC6-1D92-4754-B51E-F48905FA93D5.jpeg

When I was frantically snatching up tanks in 2020 when I got into the hobby, I found a 55 gallon online for cheap. It was never disclosed that it was used for reptiles, and my girlfriend went to pick it up. 

Long story short, it held water just fine, and continues to hold water just fine 3 years later. Also has chips on the outer edge pieces of glass that most would freak out about, but I didn’t notice those until later and again 3 years down the road I haven’t had any issues. 

Water test it somewhere that if it leaks it doesn’t matter and if it holds water you should be good. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 5:16 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

When I was frantically snatching up tanks in 2020 when I got into the hobby, I found a 55 gallon online for cheap. It was never disclosed that it was used for reptiles, and my girlfriend went to pick it up. 

Long story short, it held water just fine, and continues to hold water just fine 3 years later. Also has chips on the outer edge pieces of glass that most would freak out about, but I didn’t notice those until later and again 3 years down the road I haven’t had any issues. 

Water test it somewhere that if it leaks it doesn’t matter and if it holds water you should be good. 

How long should I water test it

And what if I don’t have anywhere that’s level and a good place to test if leak? Maybe outside?

On 8/5/2023 at 4:19 PM, Gannon said:

As long as you’re able to to say, “yup, holds water and doesn’t leak”.

On 8/5/2023 at 4:19 PM, Gannon said:

And what if I don’t have anywhere that’s level and a good place to test if leak? Maybe outside?

Outside would definitely work 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 5:22 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

also. Any issue with the gap in the middle of the bottom of the stand where it’s sitting?

On 8/5/2023 at 4:22 PM, Gannon said:

So like a couple hours?

Personally I would probably do a couple days. 

On 8/5/2023 at 5:27 PM, Gannon said:

Any issue with the gap in the middle of the bottom of the stand where it’s sitting?

I probably wouldn’t stress too much, but again I would test it. There’s people much smarter than myself when it comes to tank construction and how they’re supported. Tagging @nabokovfan87 to see what they think. It would probably be preferred to not have that gap, but…

On 8/5/2023 at 3:22 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:
On 8/5/2023 at 3:19 PM, Gannon said:

On 8/5/2023 at 3:19 PM, Gannon said:

Yeah, definitely outside.

I had my 75 sitting for months. Took it outside to fill it on the concrete and what do ya know even the concrete pad can't be level at this house. 😂

What you're looking for is to be able to fill it. If you need to, take an actual level to the ground or use a garage or something where it's definitely level and not sloped to run away from the foundation.  Left to right (one direction) of lean is usually ok but it's just not something where a tank this old you'd want to risk added stress. no arcing or bowing basically.

I would fill it for at least a week as long as the ground isn't causing any stress and temperature isn't an issue.  14 days is a better test. 

You want to at minimum have it filled up long enough for the ground to dry completely and then to have the tank hold water "long enough" to feel comfortable.

Check the silicone visually, that's going to matter a lot more than any test. It should be attached to the glass as well as be supple. If it dried out and it's hard/cracking then you're going to want to just replace it anyways.

A new 20L costs about $26 or so. Just saying....

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Love 1

On 8/5/2023 at 7:11 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah, definitely outside.

I had my 75 sitting for months. Took it outside to fill it on the concrete and what do ya know even the concrete pad can't be level at this house. 😂

What you're looking for is to be able to fill it. If you need to, take an actual level to the ground or use a garage or something where it's definitely level and not sloped to run away from the foundation.  Left to right (one direction) of lean is usually ok but it's just not something where a tank this old you'd want to risk added stress. 

I would fill it for at least a week as long as the ground isn't causing any stress and temperature isn't an issue.  14 days is a better test. 

You want to at minimum have it filled up long enough for the ground to dry completely and then to have the tank hold water "long enough" to feel comfortable.

Check the silicone visually, that's going to matter a lot more than any test. It should be attached to the glass as well as be supple. If it dried out and it's hard/cracking then you're going to want to just replace it anyways.

A new 20L costs about $26 or so. Just saying....

The silicon looks great and no leakage so far. Don’t think I can do a week or two lol, I have to free up my quarantine tank soon for a bowl goldfish left in a friends care. Gonna get it to health and give it to the pond guy I know. 

am I more than likely okay or should I just buy a new tank?

On 8/5/2023 at 5:02 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:
On 8/5/2023 at 4:27 PM, Gannon said:

Any issue with the gap in the middle of the bottom of the stand where it’s sitting?

I probably wouldn’t stress too much, but again I would test it. There’s people much smarter than myself when it comes to tank construction and how they’re supported. Tagging @nabokovfan87 to see what they think. It would probably be preferred to not

No issue. You just need the corners supported.  You can see the same type of thing in the video for Cory / Corvus building the shop racks.

On 8/5/2023 at 5:13 PM, Gannon said:

am I more than likely okay or should I just buy a new tank?

It's up to you. I can't really say. It seems from everything it's ok. It's definitely out of warranty.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 7:14 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

No issue. You just need the corners supported.  You can see the same type of thing in the video for Cory / Corvus building the shop racks.

I thought I remembered something like that!

On 8/5/2023 at 9:02 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

It is probably actually better off having been a terrarium since the seals would not have been under pressure, but definitely water test it for a couple days. If he had a heat lamp to close to some of the silicone it could have dried it out.

Luckily to my touch none feels dry! It was a snake enclosure so probably less intensely heated