Marine salt for medicating fish?

Mikey Walnuts

So, I feel like this is a no brainer, but is there any reason why you can’t use marine salt like Instant Ocean for medicating fish? I use API aquarium salt at work a lot for medicating fish and it’s always a pain in the butt dissolving it. I use Instant Ocean at home for BBS and it dissolves easily. The only issue I could see is it raising the PH more than API.

14 hours ago, Mikey Walnuts said:

So, I feel like this is a no brainer, but is there any reason why you can’t use marine salt like Instant Ocean for medicating fish? I use API aquarium salt at work a lot for medicating fish and it’s always a pain in the butt dissolving it. I use Instant Ocean at home for BBS and it dissolves easily. The only issue I could see is it raising the PH more than API.

I sometimes use Reef salt as therapy for my african cichlids and i must say that it works really well.  Not sure I would use it on fish that prefer softer water however.

I read an article on using aquarium salt, kosher salt, or non-iodized plain table salt, and an easy way to dissolve it is to heat a quart of water to about 100, dissolve the salt in that, let it cool down if necessary, then mix into a gallon of additional water and pour that slowly into your tank. This was done in a 10-gallon tank, so if you have a larger tank it might have to be done in several smaller steps.