Starlight bristlenose pleco

Maggie

Hello friends! Today while looking at options for algea control critters, I was on the website of a breeder I found in my local aquarist club. He is not too far from me and breeds starlight bristlenose plecos (L183), and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on these gorgeous fish. I was thinking of one to help control algea (knowing I will also have to feed). Allegedly they don't get larger than 5" but I am leery. I also want 1-3 pearl gourami but feel there might be fish overload if I get a pleco. My water is on the softer side and slightly lower pH (have to buffer with wonder shells so it doesn't fall below 6.6), and tank is kept at 78, so it seemed this would be a good option. I also loved the hillstream loach but don't think one would be happy in my warm, calm water. Thank you for any advice! 

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

Hello friends! Today while looking at options for algea control critters, I was on the website of a breeder I found in my local aquarist club. He is not too far from me and breeds starlight bristlenose plecos (L183), and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on these gorgeous fish. I was thinking of one to help control algea (knowing I will also have to feed). Allegedly they don't get larger than 5" but I am leery. I also want 1-3 pearl gourami but feel there might be fish overload if I get a pleco. My water is on the softer side and slightly lower pH (have to buffer with wonder shells so it doesn't fall below 6.6), and tank is kept at 78, so it seemed this would be a good option. I also loved the hillstream loach but don't think one would be happy in my warm, calm water. Thank you for any advice! 

How big is the aquarium your putting him in? also yes bristlenose pleco are a small species of pleco and probably wont grow beyong that 5inch mark

19 minutes ago, James Black said:

A Hillstream loach would be fine in 76F. If all you have in that 45 Gallon is the 3 gouramis, hillstream loach, pleco your stocking is fine. and you could defenteley add more fish. 

I already have 8 harlequin rasboras in quarantine, waiting to go in. Plus I want cory cats.