Transplanting aquarium plants

Hello everybody so my question today is this! When we order aquarium plants from Cory or anyone else for that matter. They usually come in those little pots with the holes my question is can they be transferred to say a bigger pot there for allowing it to keep growing bigger and healthy. Now why do I even care well I’d like to add some in my pond at least until closer to winter if it’s possible I have put pond plants in tanks but now I want to try the other way also I’m not wanting substrate in my pond hence the reason for pots

• Like 1

I was curious about this as I want to upgrade some plants in a large aquarium which as gravel substrate.  I'm thinking using clay pots with good aquarium soil might be a solution to raising plants better suited to soil than gravel.  A podcast I like "Blakes Aquatics"  had a video where he does just that;   I found other sites as well using pots for aquarium plants,  I raise a few orchids and so have pots that are wide and have openings in the side.  I'm going to give these a try in the aquarium.   Also we have a small pond and grow water lilies in pots.  I don't know why other plants wouldn't work as well.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 6:22 AM, reefhugger said:

I was curious about this as I want to upgrade some plants in a large aquarium which as gravel substrate.  I'm thinking using clay pots with good aquarium soil might be a solution to raising plants better suited to soil than gravel.  A podcast I like "Blakes Aquatics"  had a video where he does just that;   I found other sites as well using pots for aquarium plants,  I raise a few orchids and so have pots that are wide and have openings in the side.  I'm going to give these a try in the aquarium.   Also we have a small pond and grow water lilies in pots.  I don't know why other plants wouldn't work as well.

Thanks very much for your input. So you’re saying there’s no reason I shouldn’t beable to take them and just put in a bigger pot then drop them down in my pond? 

Using a pot for rooted plants in a gravel substrate.  That's a cool idea, not sure why that never occurred to me to try that.  How big of a pot would one need to use for something like an Amazon sword to use better soil for the pot, but still being able to use gravel everywhere else.  Overtime would it choke off the plant, or make it so root bound that you wouldn't be able to get root tabs in?

On 7/27/2023 at 1:38 PM, Milliardo Peacecraft said:

Using a pot for rooted plants in a gravel substrate.  That's a cool idea, not sure why that never occurred to me to try that.  How big of a pot would one need to use for something like an Amazon sword to use better soil for the pot, but still being able to use gravel everywhere else.  Overtime would it choke off the plant, or make it so root bound that you wouldn't be able to get root tabs in?

See now y’all are thinking 🤔 this can be elaborated in many ways I just wanted to try some aquarium plants in my pond.

On 7/27/2023 at 12:11 PM, Casual aquatics said:

Thanks very much for your input. So you’re saying there’s no reason I shouldn’t beable to take them and just put in a bigger pot then drop them down in my pond? 

Sorry for the delay in reply....often have internet issues here.  Anyway as I mentioned this is just what  I'm going to try but haven't yet.  I don't see any obvious issues.  I know I'd have to have the soil wet and perhaps have a fine gravel cap or some other way of not having the soil flood out of the pot as I slowly lower it down.  Any ideas on that I'd welcome.  

On 7/27/2023 at 1:38 PM, Milliardo Peacecraft said:

I wonder if aquatic plants have smaller or more spread out roots than land ones.   But assuming this will work, they can be repotted like my houseplant?  We should have some fun experimenting with this.  

On 7/28/2023 at 10:28 AM, reefhugger said:

I wonder if aquatic plants have smaller or more spread out roots than land ones.   But assuming this will work, they can be repotted like my houseplant?  We should have some fun experimenting with this.  

I'm thinking your correct, I think I should experiment a bit with this concept just to see what happens.  What's the worst that happens, I kill off a plant... lol. Well that certainly won't be the first time thats happened.  😉

On 7/28/2023 at 11:37 AM, Milliardo Peacecraft said:

I'm thinking your correct, I think I should experiment a bit with this concept just to see what happens.  What's the worst that happens, I kill off a plant... lol. Well that certainly won't be the first time thats happened.  😉

Amen to that.....lol

• Like 1