Pygmy cory flashing, water parameters are fine

gdachev

I noticed one of my pygmy corries to be flashing on the gravel. Is this some kind of a disease or could it be normal behaviour? 

Amonnia and nitrite are 0, nitrate is <10mg/l. Ph is around 7.2, no signs of CL. It is a 12 gallon tank with 6 pygmy corries and 6 ember tetras, moderately planted. I am attaching a video of the flashing.

My Pygmy cory do that sometimes and they are healthy and breeding. I would not worry unless it becomes or already is a constant obsessive thing. Your little one looks healthy and well fed. Sometimes fish just get an itch like we do. 

How long have you had them?  If they are new it may just be getting used to you water. 

On 7/25/2023 at 3:26 PM, Guppysnail said:

My Pygmy cory do that sometimes and they are healthy and breeding. I would not worry unless it becomes or already is a constant obsessive thing. Your little one looks healthy and well fed. Sometimes fish just get an itch like we do. 

How long have you had them?  If they are new it may just be getting used to you water. 

Well it is doing it more often than normal, at least to my understanding of normal. Ive had them for a week. That being said they are all hungry and active and show no signs of any disease except for this one doing these funny movements.

Edited by gdachev
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 8:32 AM, gdachev said:

Well it is doing it more often than normal, at least to my understanding of normal. Ive had them for a week. That being said they are all hungry and active and show no signs of any disease except for this one doing these funny movements.

I would wait a bit longer and give at least another week of good food and clean water before I would consider medication. Medications are hard on fish. Give them time to settle in before doing anything. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 7:08 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It looks like the fish is struggling against the current.

What is your filtration like?

Aquael Versamax 1: 130gUs/h which is a filter for 5-25gUS aquariums. I can try lowering it to the lowest option to see if it still does it.

On 7/25/2023 at 8:33 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

What size is your tank?

The flashing is likely unrelated to the filter, but in the video I just noticed the fish struggling.

12 gallon - 50x30x30 cm. Here is a pic of it

3BFEFF09-54CB-46BB-94AC-AB3600AC1028.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Its strange, I notice that sometimes my fish will flash even with seemingly perfect water conditions. I've medicated heavily in the past for parasites and don't see any visible signs of disease. Usually I do a water change and the behavior stops. I don't have any science behind this, but in my tank it usually seems to work. Full disclosure, my fish that flash like this are Mustache Danios, not Cory cats. Maybe try a 50 - 60% water change and see if things improve?