Hara Zebra Gallireya Reef Mbuna

Hey guys got a question. I have an opportunity to buy a group 1 male 4 females. My first question is this a naturally occurring strain because I only like natural ones. Also I have a 40 breeder is this good for them since they only max at 4 inches? Or even a 30 gallon? 

thx Stephen.

On 7/22/2023 at 3:14 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Hey guys got a question. I have an opportunity to buy a group 1 male 4 females. My first question is this a naturally occurring strain because I only like natural ones. Also I have a 40 breeder is this good for them since they only max at 4 inches? Or even a 30 gallon? 

thx Stephen.

I know diddly squat about African cichlids but a quick search says they max at 5-6”.  There’s no way I’d put that into a 30, but it might be OK in a 40 breeder?  Hopefully others with actual cichlid experience will chime in for you.  I’m only going off simple, common sense.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 1:14 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

thx Stephen.

On 7/22/2023 at 2:43 PM, Odd Duck said:

I know diddly squat about African cichlids but a quick search says they max at 5-6”.  There’s no way I’d put that into a 30, but it might be OK in a 40 breeder?  Hopefully others with actual cichlid experience will chime in for you.  I’m only going off simple, common sense.

Hi @Stephen Zawacki, @Odd Duck is right. I had them in a 45G and it was mayhem. All was well as juveniles but once breeding begins, I saw a lot of deaths until I rehomed the lot of them. African cichlids are very aggressive and that particular Mbuna is extremely aggressive. At a minimum you might get away with a 55G with a great deal of hiding places. Still, I’d not chance less than a 75G. Their aggression will be less if it’s all Mbunas but I’d still keep 1 male to at least 3 females. I’d avoid Haps and Peacocks as Mbunas will kill them. Colors as good as saltwater but too aggressive for me. Beautiful fish though. 

• Like 6

They are a collection point Mbuna so they’re saying these were Zebra Mbuna found at Galliyrea Reef so yes a naturally occurring specimen. 

Mbuna need numbers, they need to be crowded with other like fish so that when they getting breeding aggression and start to chase they’ll get distracted by the other fish. Dithers. 

You could in a 55-75 g get away with the Zebras with Yellow Labs and Purple Acei which are not from the same genus but are from the same lake. There’s a reasonable chance that the Zebras could kill the others but a 50% chance it could work out. The other 2 species are “peaceful” mbuna which just means they’re aggressive but less than zebras. 

Depending on the water you get from the tap will need to consider how you’re going to buffer your water to pH 8, TDS of around 150, and there are commercially available salts and substrates that buffer for African cichlids.

Zebras are beautiful and were a favorite when I did Mbuna but they can be mean and super aggressive. I often had to cull individuals that were too aggressive but then that sets up a chain reaction of the other fish fighting within the hierarchy. Most mbuna keepers try to grow their groups out together so that they are similar size. Usually you get 9-12 months with them before all hell breaks loose with adults. 

• Like 1