40 Breeder tank lid mod help

StiggyAzalea

I need a glass lid for my 40 breeder but the only one I can find around me is designed for a tank with a center brace. Aqueon 40b doesn't have one, so I was wondering if I could silicone the two pieces together with a properly sized piece of glass between them? I like the idea of having two separate hinges but I don't know how well it would work. Would I be able to set things on top of it like food bags or prime bottles?

I drew a diagram, the blue is where they would be siliconed together. The center piece would be long enough to rest on the front and back lip of the tank. 

null.png

I wouldn't trust anything like you described.

I'd keep looking.  It sounds like you're describing a lid for a 65 gallon tank, which has the same footprint as a 40 gallon breeder tank, but with the divider.  I know they make lids for 40 gallon breeder tanks because I have one.  I don't remember which brand it is, but I know I bought it from one of the chain pet stores.  Maybe you could ask a store to order one for you.

Edit:  A quick Google search turned up one that's made by Aqueon.  It's about $35.00.

Edited by JettsPapa

I got my aqueon lid for my aqueon 40 B at petco. It came with a handle to put on but I dont use them. It’s the same as their lids for smaller tanks but much thicker glass. Last I looked petco does deliver glass lids. I ordered others and had them delivered. 
I know it dirty 🤣

image.jpg

• Like 2

I bought the Aqueon 40b lid from the petco website. They do deliver lids. It came clear from the California warehouse in an absolutely huge box. All I had to do is buy one more item to get free shipping. What a great deal.

• Like 1