Nano Tank Journal - 20 long

Sherry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry I didn’t see your comment before this - I incubated them in a plastic container. Then I put them in my 10 gallon quarantine tank. I see about 10 that survived, which is a good number for me.

I have another clutch incubating now.IMG_5966.jpeg.4546a9a11e396cb3e83487213bbb9316.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I would like to add a “centerpiece “ fish or two. I have thought about guppies, platys or a honey gourami.

There are negatives on live bearers because I will need to limit offspring, but I enjoy the baby fish, too. I’ve also read that they may stress my other fish (green neon tetras, Otocinclus, and Pygmy Corydoras).

I worry about the gourami because they are somewhat like bettas and my granddaughter’s betta nipped their snails antennae and it died. Will the gourami do that too?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 3:11 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's basically just shoaling behavior.

I haven’t seen them do this before. I have five and have been thinking about adding some. How many do you suggest I add for them to feel comfortable like this all the time.

I currently have the five Pygmy Corydoras, seven Green Neon Tetras, six Otocinclus and two Mystery snails (the baby snails are in a separate tank).

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 11:32 AM, Sherry said:

I haven’t seen them do this before. I have five and have been thinking about adding some. How many do you suggest I add for them to feel comfortable like this all the time.

usually 12 in a group is a really good size for behaviors.  I would say 12-15 is about perfect..  You should have breeding though.  Just meaning, 8-10 is usually where I recommend people start out and let them breed / grow as a colony.

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2023 at 5:09 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

?  Care instructions I’ve seen always say cories like water on the softer side.

My pandas were born and raised in Florida water. Ridiculously high GH. 12-20 range. Only the past year we had GH drop by half down to 6-8.  Basically, PH/KH can't get too high, but GH being high, they do fine with.

• Thanks 1

Thank you to all of you. I enjoyed the info on Corydoras and hard water. My water is hard to begin with and I use Wondershell to add calcium for my snails, but all seem to be healthy.

However I don’t expect my green neon to lay eggs because I understand they need soft water to breed.

On 10/28/2023 at 9:34 PM, nabokovfan87 said:
I'll try to dig up some research!

I would try to get GH > KH though.

Please tag me when you post on this elsewhere so I can find it.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 10:08 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’ve managed to spawn glowlight tetras by adding peat to my rock hard mountain water if you’re feeling like giving it a go…? 

Wow! That is exciting! The peat lowers the pH, right?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone- I would like some advice about my plants.

I bought a 24” ACO lamp for my 20L tank. I have been trying to adjust time and intensity. I let Cyanobacteria get a good foothold in my tanks because I didn’t realize what a problem it would become. I got it pretty much under control now, but I turned the lights to the lowest setting and restricted the time to about 6 hours.

Are my plants supposed to pearl? Do you think six hours is enough time? My plants are the ones that like low light, but even they are looking leggy.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

On 11/20/2023 at 6:45 PM, Sherry said:

Are my plants supposed to pearl? Do you think six hours is enough time? My plants are the ones that like low light, but even they are looking leggy.

Pearling is a good sign, but a lot of people won't ever see it.  6 hours is plenty of light for a lot of plants and I think the majority of plants would be ok, but if you have certain species they may need the lights adjusted higher over time.  It doesn't have to be sudden, it can be done over several weeks-months.

What plants are you keeping?  If you would like to please feel free to share photos of what you're seeing.

• Like 1