How long does an Ich outbreak take?

Evan

Thursday I noticed one white spot or bump on one Rummynose Tetra. Friday I noticed an additional spot or bump on the same fish. Today (Saturday) I noticed one spot or bump on another Rummynose tetra. 
When I saw the first spot on Thursday I thought it was “stress Ich” but now I’m not so sure. However I thought that an Ich outbreak proceeds faster than this. 
Toughts? Should I start treatment with Ich-X just to be on the safe side?

Thanks in advance. 
Evan

Edited by Evan

On 7/15/2023 at 7:46 AM, Evan said:

Should I start treatment with Ich-X just to be on the safe side?

If you suspect ich, then it's a good idea normally to dose in Ich-X and salt.  The "and salt" is pretty beneficial to the situation for a variety of reasons, but the main thing is that it can help fight external issues.

I don't encourage you to treat the fish without having a good concept for what you're dealing with though.  If you want to send photos to confirm or explain a bit better in terms of the location and size/shape of the white spots it would be helpful.  It could be a variety of things and photos really help!

• Thanks 1

The spots look raised correct me if am wrong if they are raised your could be dealing with epistylis it feeds off of gram negative bacteria on the slime coat of your fish and spreads more quickly at higher temperatures causing secondary bacterial infections that's what usually kills your fish he's how you tell the difference between ich and epistylis if your dealing with epistylis you want to treat with maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days and dose the tank with ick X or aquarium salt as you have live I would use ick x @Evan

IMG_20230125_225944.jpg

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 12:27 AM, Evan said:

Can I do Maracyn in a Repashy gel?

I added salt to the tank earlier today at 1 tbsp per 3 gallons and Ich-X at 5 ml per 10 gallons. 

You want to use maracyn2 to kill the gram negative bacteria epistylis feeds off maracyn predominantly treats gram positive 

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 2:37 AM, Evan said:

It’s going to take a couple days for Maracyn 2 to arrive. Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Keep treating Aquarium salt and ick x till maracyn2 arrives do the medicated food and ick X 

• Thanks 1

I’m treating as directed and the white spots seem to be lessening except for a large solitary spot on a Neon Tetra which is new. 
Now I’m noticing that the Rummynose Tetras have saddle shaped patches on their bodies. Columnaris?

IMG_0820.jpeg

IMG_0811.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

IMG_0803.jpeg

Possible columnaris that a gram negative bacterial infections that spreads more quickly at temperature over 75 and can kill in 24hr to 7 days for some of the cold water strains the most effective treatment is a combination of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan the remaining spots in your picture look raised so the treatment I recommended will treat suspected epistylis and columnaris @Evan

IMG_20230115_235240.jpg

Edited by Colu

Thanks @Colu

I want to make sure I understand the schedule and dosing. Each time I add the medication I follow the dosage instructions on the package. Is that correct? And then on day 5 I do a double dose of each? How long after can I do a water change and add carbon to the filters?

Should I discontinue the Maracyn 2 medicated food while doing this treatment?

Edited by Evan

On 7/22/2023 at 1:12 AM, Evan said:

Thanks @Colu

I want to make sure I understand the schedule and dosing. Each time I add the medication I follow the dosage instructions on the package. Is that correct? And then on day 5 I do a double dose of each? How long after can I do a water change and add carbon to the filters?

Should I discontinue the Maracyn 2 medicated food while doing this treatment?

Yes stop treating with maracyn2 days 1-3-5 add one scoop of kanaplex per 10 gallons days 1-5 add one dose per 10 gallons of jungal fungus clear fizz tabs do a large water before starting treatment than do a 25% water change on days 3-5 redose medication 

On 7/22/2023 at 1:24 AM, Colu said:

Yes stop treating with maracyn2 days 1-3-5 add one scoop of kanaplex per 10 gallons days 1-5 add one dose per 10 gallons of jungal fungus clear fizz tabs do a large water before starting treatment than do a 25% water change on days 3-5 redose medication 

Forgot to mention the extra dose of both medication is on day 5  as you usually treat with kanaplex every 2 days  it's not a double dose just an extra dose of the medication per 10 gallons on day 5

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1