UV sterilizer for shared sump recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations for a UV sterilizer in a small 25 gallon sump and approximately 40 gallon system ?

I have a green killing machine and that aquatop HOB with the UV in it as options but not set on either. I have limited understanding of the UV best choices. More dwell time is better than less is about it for my knowledge. I set up my continuous overflow rack/fry rack system on early October.  The plan is mostly for puffer food colonys and small breeding projects. Id rather have the "just in case" insurance against free floating parasites, algae blooms due to direct sunlight, etc than not. Thanks much. 

System stats:

3/4 pvc return just dumps in the sump straight currently

Kitchen storage rack holding

(1) 25 gallon sump ,

heater, pump, filters etc there

(4) 2.5 gallon tanks (bigger ones in photo)

(6) 3/4 gallon tanks. ( small one in photo)

Vr

Matt

20201025_195244.jpg

Cool setup! Sorry, I don't have much experience with UV sterilizers, but I like the Green Killing Machine sterilizer that I got off Amazon. Just had to constantly clean that little blue prefilter sponge or else it stopped working as well.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Uv sterilizes mostly come down to contact time. Watts vs how fast flow is. You need large amounts of watts and slow flow to kill something like ich for instance. In a sump like that, I would go with whatever the largest uv sterilizer you can afford is. There are some cheap "diy" solutions on amazon that are just a uv sterilizer tube with an on/off switch and some suction cups. If you put that inside of like 1 inch pvc, and move some water by it they work pretty well. But you need some type of shield as it'll damage acrylic, your eyes, fish, bacteria etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 11:40 AM, Cory said:

Uv sterilizes mostly come down to contact time. Watts vs how fast flow is. You need large amounts of watts and slow flow to kill something like ich for instance. In a sump like that, I would go with whatever the largest uv sterilizer you can afford is. There are some cheap "diy" solutions on amazon that are just a uv sterilizer tube with an on/off switch and some suction cups. If you put that inside of like 1 inch pvc, and move some water by it they work pretty well. But you need some type of shield as it'll damage acrylic, your eyes, fish, bacteria etc. 

Thank you kindly. I may have to try that project and incorporate the tube in the pvc overflow return pipe.