Microfauna ID?

On 7/1/2023 at 9:15 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

My friend has these white dots that swim, but they do not have the intermittent start/stop of ostracods.

Are you mixing up ostracods and copepods? Ostracods tend to have smoother movement than copepods, which are jerky and “shoot” around. @nabokovfan87’s vid of cory eggs in hatcher looks like copepods, to me. In my experience, the ostracods tend to glide around very smoothly, so I wouldn’t discount them as a possibility in your friends tank. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2023 at 8:51 AM, Dork Fish said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea That is okay, it isn't very hard but it is time consuming LOL 🙂 

To get my macro photos, I had to catch a copepod in a syringe, put one drop on a white paper plate then take a pic from my smartphone through the eyelet of a pocket microscope. Guess which part was the most frustrating... LOL

Hahaha, catching it, of course.  I have a macro lens for my tanks, but my friend doesn't have one.  

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2023 at 9:03 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

SWEET! 

I got a video once of this thing in mine.... this is what one of the critters in my tank looked like.  I have a few. Yours looks like the top left there or bottom middle?

spacer.png

Wow. I didn’t know copepods came in so many different flavors. I’d say bottom middle. The copepod kinda reminds me of Orange Bird, a retro Disney character because of the 2 leaves on his head.

image.png.1c66d1ea2806af9c76160b78bace7999.png

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1