New Kid in Town

Hi Folks, David here, retired and living the dream in southern Mexico on the Oaxacan coast.  Like many here I've been a tropical fish hobbyist since I was 7 or 8 years old but I did step it up a notch for several years in Southern California where I owned and operated a commercial marine ornamentals hatchery called Seahorse Aquatics.  I raised seahorses (of course), several clownfish species, several dottyback species, some gobies and a few others.  I had to give it up for financial reasons but now I'm retired and have nothing to do all day but play with fish tanks.  Admittedly the bulk of my more advanced experience is with marine species but of course I started out with the same entry level FW fish as most people do and now I'm going back to basics; I have mollies, platys and swordtails going and I am trying to get some angelfish.  There is no LFS here and no Live Aquaria so sourcing fish is difficult.  If I can find them I also want to try some German Blue Rams.  Also just for kicks I'm forming a colony of clown loaches, have collected 5 so far.  My real goal is to farm tilapia aquaponically and grow food as well but I'm still in an apartment (looking for a site) so small fish in tanks are all I can manage at this time.  

I've watched a zillion You Tube videos lately and Aquarium Coop keeps showing up as a legit source for information so I'm hoping to become an active member.  

Thanks for reading, more later :)

• Like 4
  • Love 4

On 6/25/2023 at 11:49 AM, Guppysnail said:

Welcome to the forum.  Do you have and photos from your salty days?  I would love to see them. 

Sadly no, that was before the days of smart phones.  I did have a digital camera but the computer any photos were stored on died long ago 😞

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2023 at 10:13 AM, smm333 said:

Welcome! Sorry you have no lfs, but it sounds like a pretty decent trade off, living in paradise! 😉

We have two big stores that are like Walmart super centers, they sell groceries as well as household goods, tools, appliances, even motorcycles!  One of them has a little pet shop kiosk, he has a few tanks but he's more about selling gerbils and dog food, he's not really a fish guy.  BUT he has access to wholesalers in Mexico City so I've been cultivating a relationship, he got me 4 of the 5 clown loaches I have and with patience I'm sure he can get whatever I ask for, it's just that I'll pretty much have to take what I get whether I like them or not.   

On 6/27/2023 at 7:39 AM, Born to Breed said:

We have two big stores that are like Walmart super centers, they sell groceries as well as household goods, tools, appliances, even motorcycles!  One of them has a little pet shop kiosk, he has a few tanks but he's more about selling gerbils and dog food, he's not really a fish guy.  BUT he has access to wholesalers in Mexico City so I've been cultivating a relationship, he got me 4 of the 5 clown loaches I have and with patience I'm sure he can get whatever I ask for, it's just that I'll pretty much have to take what I get whether I like them or not.   

Maybe you will get him to catch the fish tank bug! It's incredibly contagious! 😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 12:42 PM, Born to Breed said:

Hi Folks, David here, retired and living the dream in southern Mexico on the Oaxacan coast.  Like many here I've been a tropical fish hobbyist since I was 7 or 8 years old but I did step it up a notch for several years in Southern California where I owned and operated a commercial marine ornamentals hatchery called Seahorse Aquatics.  I raised seahorses (of course), several clownfish species, several dottyback species, some gobies and a few others.  I had to give it up for financial reasons but now I'm retired and have nothing to do all day but play with fish tanks.  Admittedly the bulk of my more advanced experience is with marine species but of course I started out with the same entry level FW fish as most people do and now I'm going back to basics; I have mollies, platys and swordtails going and I am trying to get some angelfish.  There is no LFS here and no Live Aquaria so sourcing fish is difficult.  If I can find them I also want to try some German Blue Rams.  Also just for kicks I'm forming a colony of clown loaches, have collected 5 so far.  My real goal is to farm tilapia aquaponically and grow food as well but I'm still in an apartment (looking for a site) so small fish in tanks are all I can manage at this time.  

I've watched a zillion You Tube videos lately and Aquarium Coop keeps showing up as a legit source for information so I'm hoping to become an active member.  

Thanks for reading, more later 🙂

Welcome to the community! Have you tried looking for local aquarium clubs in your area, or maybe collecting locally in Mexico? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 11:42 AM, Born to Breed said:

Thanks for reading, more later :)

Oaxacan Cuisine happens to rank near the top of all foods for me! Mole and I are simpatico friends! Definitely jealous you get to enjoy that cuisine year round!! I feel you about the lack of LFS in your area. I have one about 45 mins away and they aren't the friendliest people, so I prefer not to conduct business with them. Besides that its just your run of the mill Petsmart/Petco...best of luck on your dreams!! My good friend that is one of the largest producers of marijuana in Northern California learned to aquafarm tilapia and uses them to hydroponically grow in his massive grow houses. Pretty cool stuff to see! Welcome!!