Anubias Dream

The current state of my 10 gallon tank makes me unhappy. So, I've decided to do something that I have been wanting to try for long time, a planted tank using 75-80% anubias. Plans right now include re-using the jungle vals and bacopa. Floating plants are a must  and I will give moss a try again. Maybe incorporate a few crypts. 

I'll use some of the  stratum that's already in the tank for areas where its needed. I'm thinking medium sized grey rocks and new driftwood. 

The only thing i haven't decided yet is substrate. I'm torn between Caribsea Peace River or Carolina Creek. If I use sand, it would be something light colored or caribsea sunset gold. 

On with the rescape

This morning, I took a trip to my lfs looking for a few rocks and driftwood. There was one very cool, craggy looking piece of wood buuuut it was way to awesome looking to cover in Anubias. To the Internet insearch of driftwood. 

I did pick up four long "scrap" pieces. They can be cut to get shorter chunks of wood. 

My favorite find though, the very cool sparkling grey rocks. No idea what type of rock they are. They are heavy. 

PXL_20230625_194631579.jpg.e4b83bc82ef059860e466b5036e095d0.jpgPXL_20230625_194629094.jpg.32de5f159dcd169569974047f01e0807.jpg

Edited by sairving
  • Love 1

On 6/21/2023 at 5:28 PM, sairving said:

The only thing i haven't decided yet is substrate. I'm torn between Caribsea Peace River or Carolina Creek. If I use sand, it would be something light colored or caribsea sunset gold. 

I would highly recommend that you don't use sunset gold....  it is such a pain to clean and could damage your equipment! Let me explain...

The "moonlight sand" is practically dust.  Some of their sand is more of a gravel, etc.  Here is a side by side of two of the ones you mentioned.  They key there being the size they list:

image.png.1a99327336efcefcbeb4d05665bfd76f.png

The left one Is more of a fine gravel.  The pebbles are basically closer to that 2mm in consistency while the sunset gold is really close to that 0.25-0.5 on average.   As those particles are much finer it is easier for them to float in the water and for the filtration to take up sand which will basically act like a fine sandpaper in your equipment.  If you have something like a sponge filter, this isn't a major concern, but once you add a pump it definitely is!

The substrates I recommend based on this above issue in my own tanks / experience cleaning them:

Avoid:  Moonlight sand, Sunset Gold,
USE!: Peace river, Crystal River, Torpedo Beach, Jungle River, Carolina Creek

I absolutely loved the look of all of the caribsea substrates.  Moonlight I hate working with and can't wait to replace it!  With the sunset gold I had my 75G tank with it and absolutely loved it, seriously, but it just isn't as easy to work with now that I have used larger particle sizes.  Right now my 2 favorites are Crystal River and Torpedo Beach. 

On 6/25/2023 at 12:54 PM, sairving said:

My favorite find though, the very cool sparkling grey rocks. No idea what type of rock they are. They are heavy. 

PXL_20230625_194631579.jpg.e4b83bc82ef059860e466b5036e095d0.jpgPXL_20230625_194629094.jpg.32de5f159dcd169569974047f01e0807.jpg

I saw these somewhere!  Maybe it was green aqua?  Maybe it was an ada site or something similar.   Yes, very beautiful rock and that color.... the green on anubias, that'll be quite wonderful.

On 6/22/2023 at 12:46 AM, sairving said:

@xXInkedPhoenixX that's why I've wanted to try it for such a long time. So much variety in one plant. I've managed to find a few pictures of anubias only tanks. They look amazing. 

There are two tanks / sources I would recommend you check out.

Anything anubias I automatically encourage people to check out Pecktec!  His tanks are stuffed with it and it's wonderful.  The other is George Farmers fern/crypt setup.  Very similar in demand, but it's just a different selection of plants.  The care and treatment of the plants would be very similar and it's just a visually beautiful setup with the coloration.  (I'll grab the links and add them below)

Edited by nabokovfan87
added video
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My local PetSmart had the Sunset gold and moonlight sand in stock, and you're right. They are both way too fine. Ended up buying a bag of HTH pool filter sand for $12. It has a good grain size and a nice tan color. 

If I could find a small bag of peace river, I would use that in places as well.  The Carolina Creek looks interesting too. 

Been a while since I've watched PeckTec. I'll go back and watch his some of his videos. 

I am thinking about trying Java ferns again as well. They normally lose their leaves and exist as rhizomes in my tank. Never been able to figure out why. 

On 6/22/2023 at 1:46 AM, sairving said:

@xXInkedPhoenixX that's why I've wanted to try it for such a long time. So much variety in one plant. I've managed to find a few pictures of anubias only tanks. They look amazing. 

I'm rescaping my 5g using all anubias. So excited to show pics of when it's done! 

On 6/25/2023 at 4:53 PM, sairving said:

My local PetSmart had the Sunset gold and moonlight sand in stock, and you're right. They are both way too fine. Ended up buying a bag of HTH pool filter sand for $12. It has a good grain size and a nice tan color. 

If I could find a small bag of peace river, I would use that in places as well.  The Carolina Creek looks interesting too. 

Been a while since I've watched PeckTec. I'll go back and watch his some of his videos. 

I am thinking about trying Java ferns again as well. They normally lose their leaves and exist as rhizomes in my tank. Never been able to figure out why. 

Chewy has Peace River. I used it for my first tank and loved it. I'm also debating sands for keeping cories and keep going back to Torpedo Beach and Carolina Creek. Moonlight and Sunset Gold are just way to fine. 

On 6/28/2023 at 5:28 AM, Jennifer V said:

I'm rescaping my 5g using all anubias. So excited to show pics of when it's done! 

Chewy has Peace River. I used it for my first tank and loved it. I'm also debating sands for keeping cories and keep going back to Torpedo Beach and Carolina Creek. Moonlight and Sunset Gold are just way to fine. 

I ended up swapping out the substrate last night. The HTH pool filter sand looks really nice and I like grain size. There is a bit of fluval stratum underneath for the vals. 16879568475595829301392546270168.jpg.6ee1b80efbab42cef7f9b7d7bc853af0.jpg

Yesterday evening, I swapped out my substrate. Where is the fun driftwood? Soaking in a bucket because it floats. The grey rocks look amazing in the tank. Today, I'll order anubias online, do a water change, and try to remove some of the algae on the glass. I can't decide if it needs a bit more sand or maybe some pebbles. 

PXL_20230628_125203923.jpg.a1f1b6aec0b5ce350c774c6650da31ea.jpg

• Love 2

On 6/28/2023 at 3:28 AM, Jennifer V said:

I'm glad you found one you like. It looks great!

It'll be fun to see everything grow in over time. 🙂

Edited by nabokovfan87

After being stuck at work due to a 9 hour flight delay, I finally made it home. (One downside to working at an airport). My anubias arrived this morning so I had a family member put them in the tank. 

Holy Anubias Batman! I ordered two anubias butterfly, two anubias golden coin, and three nana petite. What I expected was 5 smaller plants. Instead.....

Tomorrow, I'll boil the driftwood and start arranging plants.

PXL_20230701_200613966.jpg.74dac64cf574ea57839e0391f51bf275.jpgPXL_20230701_214616763.jpg.e226286d7f8bcb5af2bc1509f049ba56.jpgPXL_20230701_214645214.jpg.0cd833f19a814f7a02050bbc2c0b99c7.jpg

Edited by sairving
  • Like 1
  • Love 1