How to purchase lights for fish tank?

martinmin

For example, if I want to buy a light for 75 gallon tank, what type of light should I buy? Factors include:

1) Length: must match the tank length exactly

2) Width: doesn't matter too much?

3) Voltage: ?

4) Spectrum: 6500

5) Installable: Can it be easily installed on my tank? It's a regular rectangular tank.

I searched for some lights, but no technical parameters listed on the site. for example:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aqueon-led-strip-light-fixture-for-aquariums

For simplicity, what type of lights should I buy?

well @martinmin what are you trying to do?

Are you trying to breed plecos? are you trying to grow plants? are you trying to make neon tetras look good?

While there are good aquarium lights out there for many cases, most of them have ideal use cases.

For example, if you are doing plecos you want low lighting.

If you are trying to grow plants you want a high spectrum with reds in it.

If you are trying to make neon tetras look good you want a light with more blue in it.

It will be much easier to help you if we have that information.

Personally i like the ACO plant light (https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/aquarium-co-op-easy-plant-led?variant=40242906366021), but that might not be what you need in your case.

Edited by Themosster

For length you will often find lights that will fit say, 48"-55" tanks. As long as your aquarium is within that range, your good. I beleive a 75 Gallon aquarium is usually 48 inches, in which case a light within that range is perfect! The width doesn't matter, whatever you perfer.

If you have a rimless aquarium you could do lights that clamp onto the side of the aquarium. Whatever you perfer. 

I am not to in touch with spectrum/ voltage. I wil say that Hygger aquarium lights I've had the most sucess with. Lights like the fluval 3.0, or the co-ops light I've heard good things about. If you aren't trying to grow plants, the brightness of the light doesn't matter too much.

This was the exact Hygger light I was talking about:

https://www.amazon.ca/Aquarium-Programmable-Spectrum-Extendable-Waterproof/dp/B086SVC2FH/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=OvglX&content-id=amzn1.sym.fd852109-df41-4ce9-b0ef-f5d8fc4554a2&pf_rd_p=fd852109-df41-4ce9-b0ef-f5d8fc4554a2&pf_rd_r=M33EKYKT003GXQ2W1YJ5&pd_rd_wg=IK6DQ&pd_rd_r=1a956913-90f6-4198-b57e-fd6c1d195cbb&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m 

Edited by FrozenFins

On 6/18/2023 at 12:17 PM, martinmin said:

1) Length: must match the tank length exactly

It can depend on if you are going to be mounting it above the tank or directly on the rim. Ultimately though, if the length of the tank is 48" I find that having the light the full length of that light does help when it comes to pushing plants that demand high light.

2) Width: doesn't matter too much?

3) Voltage: ?

All of this is related to the number and the power of the LEDs on the light. More LEDs of a certain type indicates more powerful light energy to the plants. This is also where something like spectrum comes into play and where that research into how plants use different wavelengths of light comes into play. 

This is also why people are familiar with that 6500K spectrum value. Is that the exact best value for the plants? Maybe. Is that going to fully distinguish what the light outputs? Very likely it will not because most lights have other color LEDs apart from white 6500K.

There are a lot of scientific papers on the topic when it comes to plants.  Finding some of those may help with what you're trying to research. Ultimately though, there are only certain lights available that are designed for aquariums. Some are designed to be above the tank and some are designed to be on the rim. Ultimately, considerations like that come into play and the "width" of the light can simply be altered by having more than one light.

5) Installable: Can it be easily installed on my tank? It's a regular rectangular tank.

I searched for some lights, but no technical parameters listed on the site. for example:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aqueon-led-strip-light-fixture-for-aquariums

For simplicity, what type of lights should I buy?

There's a few really good starting points. The ACO light is one of them because it works and it's straightforward. I have the fluval lights and I enjoy them. I would only recommend the planted version and not the aqua sky, but I understand that isn't an option for everyone.

When it comes to simplicity, the goal is to get a light that just works. Something rated for IP67 is pretty important for me personally because your light will get splashed on or dropped on or wet in some capacity, eventually.  You can add a smart outlet as a timer and get all the functionality in the world that you need when it comes to scheduling.  Being able to adjust the intensity of the light is also useful.

Considering it's a 75G tank, keep that depth of tank in mind. If you have a lower power light, then you'd opt for something grows well in those conditions.

Nicrew, hugger, there's so many brands out there of lights. Unfortunately the big box stores just do not carry most or any of them.

Aquarium stores, websites online, that is where a lot of us get our lights now.

Plants really are the determining factor though. You can focus on plants that fit the light you select or you can choose the light that fights the plants you want to work with. That is where I would start and find something that fits the above criteria of being splash resistant and adjustable.

On 6/18/2023 at 12:26 PM, FrozenFins said:

For length you will often find lights that will fit say, 48"-55" tanks. As long as your aquarium is within that range, your good. I beleive a 75 Gallon aquarium is usually 48 inches, in which case a light within that range is perfect! The width doesn't matter, whatever you perfer.

If you have a rimless aquarium you could do lights that clamp onto the side of the aquarium. Whatever you perfer. 

I am not to in touch with spectrum/ voltage. I wil say that Hygger aquarium lights I've had the most sucess with. Lights like the fluval 3.0, or the co-ops light I've heard good things about. If you aren't trying to grow plants, the brightness of the light doesn't matter too much.

This was the exact Hygger light I was talking about:

https://www.amazon.ca/Aquarium-Programmable-Spectrum-Extendable-Waterproof/dp/B086SVC2FH/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=OvglX&content-id=amzn1.sym.fd852109-df41-4ce9-b0ef-f5d8fc4554a2&pf_rd_p=fd852109-df41-4ce9-b0ef-f5d8fc4554a2&pf_rd_r=M33EKYKT003GXQ2W1YJ5&pd_rd_wg=IK6DQ&pd_rd_r=1a956913-90f6-4198-b57e-fd6c1d195cbb&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m 

For this one, technicals:

LIGHT SIZE:120*10*2.2cm.

APPLICATION: 48~55inch.

INPUT VOTAGE: AC100-240V.

OUTPUT VOTAGE:DC15V.

LUMENS:3346.

Color temp:6500-10000K.

48-55inch, does it mean the length can be adjustable? Is 'color temp' the same as "spectrum"? Is this a normal price?

On 6/18/2023 at 12:23 PM, TheMosster said:

well @martinmin what are you trying to do?

Are you trying to breed plecos? are you trying to grow plants? are you trying to make neon tetras look good?

While there are good aquarium lights out there for many cases, most of them have ideal use cases.

For example, if you are doing plecos you want low lighting.

If you are trying to grow plants you want a high spectrum with reds in it.

If you are trying to make neon tetras look good you want a light with more blue in it.

It will be much easier to help you if we have that information.

Personally i like the ACO plant light (https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/aquarium-co-op-easy-plant-led?variant=40242906366021), but that might not be what you need in your case.

The main purpose is for planted aquarium, so for both plants and fishes. That one seems easy to install?

On 6/18/2023 at 5:01 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It can depend on if you are going to be mounting it above the tank or directly on the rim. Ultimately though, if the length of the tank is 48" I find that having the light the full length of that light does help when it comes to pushing plants that demand high light.

All of this is related to the number and the power of the LEDs on the light. More LEDs of a certain type indicates more powerful light energy to the plants. This is also where something like spectrum comes into play and where that research into how plants use different wavelengths of light comes into play. 

This is also why people are familiar with that 6500K spectrum value. Is that the exact best value for the plants? Maybe. Is that going to fully distinguish what the light outputs? Very likely it will not because most lights have other color LEDs apart from white 6500K.

There are a lot of scientific papers on the topic when it comes to plants.  Finding some of those may help with what you're trying to research. Ultimately though, there are only certain lights available that are designed for aquariums. Some are designed to be above the tank and some are designed to be on the rim. Ultimately, considerations like that come into play and the "width" of the light can simply be altered by having more than one light.

There's a few really good starting points. The ACO light is one of them because it works and it's straightforward. I have the fluval lights and I enjoy them. I would only recommend the planted version and not the aqua sky, but I understand that isn't an option for everyone.

When it comes to simplicity, the goal is to get a light that just works. Something rated for IP67 is pretty important for me personally because your light will get splashed on or dropped on or wet in some capacity, eventually.  You can add a smart outlet as a timer and get all the functionality in the world that you need when it comes to scheduling.  Being able to adjust the intensity of the light is also useful.

Considering it's a 75G tank, keep that depth of tank in mind. If you have a lower power light, then you'd opt for something grows well in those conditions.

Nicrew, hugger, there's so many brands out there of lights. Unfortunately the big box stores just do not carry most or any of them.

Aquarium stores, websites online, that is where a lot of us get our lights now.

Plants really are the determining factor though. You can focus on plants that fit the light you select or you can choose the light that fights the plants you want to work with. That is where I would start and find something that fits the above criteria of being splash resistant and adjustable.

So, for a simplest choice, as long as the length fits my tank, and it can be installed easily, it works. Is that right? 

what is ' IP67'?

On 6/18/2023 at 5:18 PM, martinmin said:

48-55inch, does it mean the length can be adjustable? Is 'color temp' the same as "spectrum"? Is this a normal price?

Correct. Spectrum and temp are the same thing.  The main body of the light is 48" long and it has some slides on the light that allow it to fit up to that 55" range.

On 6/18/2023 at 5:18 PM, martinmin said:

So, for a simplest choice, as long as the length fits my tank, and it can be installed easily, it works. Is that right? 

what is ' IP67'?

It's a rating for phones and for electronics that has to do with durability testing. IP67 and IP68 are the main ones we see for aquarium lights.

On 6/19/2023 at 3:27 AM, martinmin said:

That particular light is meant for saltwater and reef tanks. If you are looking at the aquatop brand lighting, I would be looking more at this one:

https://www.aquatop.com/skyaqua-led-light-6500k-par-50.html

On 6/18/2023 at 8:25 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Correct. Spectrum and temp are the same thing.  The main body of the light is 48" long and it has some slides on the light that allow it to fit up to that 55" range.

It's a rating for phones and for electronics that has to do with durability testing. IP67 and IP68 are the main ones we see for aquarium lights.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:18 PM, martinmin said:

what is ' IP67'?

First, look on Amazon for lights, far cheaper and good quality. Look when the light first appear on Amazon, buy the newer lights.

Look for IP68 waterproof rating for a light. This will allow you to put your light directly over the water. I have a glass top on my 75 gallon tank which may block some of the light when it gets dirty.  many of the latest generation of lights on Amazon waterproof/water resistant. 

On 6/19/2023 at 5:08 AM, madmark285 said:

First, look on Amazon for lights, far cheaper and good quality. Look when the light first appear on Amazon, buy the newer lights.

Look for IP68 waterproof rating for a light. This will allow you to put your light directly over the water. I have a glass top on my 75 gallon tank which may block some of the light when it gets dirty.  many of the latest generation of lights on Amazon waterproof/water resistant. 

Can you suggest one for 75 gallons from Amazon? Thanks.

On 6/19/2023 at 1:33 AM, Pepere said:

It seems to have been designed for salt water marine use.  14,000 k is an awfully blue light which is preferred for coral reefs.  

It would not be among my choices for a planted tank.

Thanks for pointing out the "14,000", which I wasn't aware of.

• Like 1

All my tanks have the Hygger 24/7 lights.  They have timers with 3 settings, are dimmable, and the 24/7 mode does sunrise, day, moonlight, off and it auto-adjusts brightness throughout the day.  Ie: sunrise starts dim, goes brighter, brighter, then it goes to dim daylight, then brighter brighter, moonlight (blue) starts bright and then ramps down to dim and then goes off.  I love that.  The gentle wakeup and night night.

On 6/19/2023 at 11:46 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

All my tanks have the Hygger 24/7 lights.  They have timers with 3 settings, are dimmable, and the 24/7 mode does sunrise, day, moonlight, off and it auto-adjusts brightness throughout the day.  Ie: sunrise starts dim, goes brighter, brighter, then it goes to dim daylight, then brighter brighter, moonlight (blue) starts bright and then ramps down to dim and then goes off.  I love that.  The gentle wakeup and night night.

Yes. I just searched, what about for 75 gallon planted aquarium?

https://www.amazon.com/Hygger-Extendable-Aquarium-Freshwater-Saltwater/dp/B086SV5XBY/ref=asc_df_B077YWKZ1D/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241963776958&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14819835215480320365&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031936&hvtargid=pla-484872520060&th=1

For most of the imported brands on Amazon (Hygger, Necrew, etc), the lights are rated for a 30-36" tanks as an example. Typically in this case, the actual light is 30" with brackets to extend to 36". 

So get a 48-xx" light  and if you find you need more lighting in the future, get a 44"-48" for the front of the tank. 

Just a suggestion.

On 6/19/2023 at 2:45 PM, madmark285 said:

For most of the imported brands on Amazon (Hygger, Necrew, etc), the lights are rated for a 30-36" tanks as an example. Typically in this case, the actual light is 30" with brackets to extend to 36". 

So get a 48-xx" light  and if you find you need more lighting in the future, get a 44"-48" for the front of the tank. 

Just a suggestion.

This light has the 48 inches choices, probably I will just get it?

https://www.amazon.com/Hygger-Extendable-Aquarium-Freshwater-Saltwater/dp/B086SV5XBY/ref=asc_df_B077YWKZ1D/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241963776958&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14819835215480320365&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031936&hvtargid=pla-484872520060&th=1

On 6/19/2023 at 1:06 PM, Pepere said:

Have you read these co op blogs?

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/how-to-pick-the-best-planted-aquarium-light

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/how-to-balance-aquarium-lighting

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/pages/led-aquarium-lighting

The co op light is featured in the articles and it is worth considering as an option.

It is highly water resistant, plenty bright, nice long cord, 3 year warranty, customer service policies and Customer Service team members second to none.  

If it  had individual channels for White, Red, Blue, Green color rendering, I would give it a try myself.  The yellow cast of the light with fixed color rendering is not to my preference.  The Fluval planted 3.0 also suffers with a yellowish cast that I dont care for.

I use the Finnex Planted Plus ALC light that has light rendering I like.  The light has a short warranty and does not have the water resistance it really should.  The 24 hour timer is not terribly usefull with its three hour ramping.  I operate it with a kasa wifi timer instead and have other lights that ramp over a half hour that comes on first before the finnex snaps on.  

It is less than ideal, but the best compromise I have found for my use.

Yes, I am starting to read them now.

• 2 months later...