Looking for a unicorn

TeeJay

This may not be able to be done. but I would love to find a single fish that would work well as I centerpiece fish in my 20 long

Housing currently is cpds, aspidoras blue jelly shrimp and one small hillstream loach. Tank temp is 75

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 2

Well, if the flow is gentle, and you can take the risk of finding another suitable tank potentially, then my vote goes for an opaque white alicorn betta.

I mean, amazing fish. In my experience with long fin males, I personally haven't observed much quality of life issues myself as long as the flow is very gently. For sure, my plakats are much better swimmers. However, I can't say the same with big ears. I would avoid big ears to be fair. Makes the fish struggle swimming for real.

Here are some examples online, what would be the perfect "unicorn" for the tank. Preferably, without big ears :')

Halfmoon Dumbo Betta Fish Care Guide | Fishkeeping Folks

Unicorn/Alicorn opaque platinum betta ?! | Betta Fish Forum

Opaque Platinum Elephant Ear Betta fish | by... : dolce sostenuto

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 1:12 PM, TeeJay said:

This may not be able to be done. but I would love to find a single fish that would work well as I centerpiece fish in my 20 long

The go to for me in a tank like that is going to be a ram.  German varieties or bolivian variety is up to you. 
german-blue-ram-blue-knight.png

Second to that, I would do something like a dwarf rainbow in a longer tank.
https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/top-10-rainbowfish
Spotted or gertrude blue eye

Another great option is a pygmy sunfish
tumblr_niuty4xXYV1u49g59o1_640.jpg

I will expand this to a certain size of barb or tetra also.  If you keep mostly nano fish, having a larger emperor tetra or a larger barb would also work very well to me visually.
odessa-barb1.webp

Emperor-tetra.jpg

As a centerpiece, my mindset is something that pushes you as the viewer to focus on the fine details of the fish itself. 

On 6/17/2023 at 4:12 PM, TeeJay said:

Housing currently is cpds, aspidoras blue jelly shrimp and one small hillstream loach.

That’s a bit tricky to balance. Maybe an african annual killifish? I have male Nothobranchius guentheri you can try. Let me see here… I’ll make a video for you… 

You pay shipping, I’ll send him. He’s from my own breeding projects here, tank-raised. $20 shipping. I can add stuff to the box too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 6/17/2023 at 4:43 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The go to for me in a tank like that is going to be a ram.  German varieties or bolivian variety is up to you. 
german-blue-ram-blue-knight.png

Second to that, I would do something like a dwarf rainbow in a longer tank.
https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/top-10-rainbowfish
Spotted or gertrude blue eye

Another great option is a pygmy sunfish
tumblr_niuty4xXYV1u49g59o1_640.jpg

I will expand this to a certain size of barb or tetra also.  If you keep mostly nano fish, having a larger emperor tetra or a larger barb would also work very well to me visually.
odessa-barb1.webp

Emperor-tetra.jpg

As a centerpiece, my mindset is something that pushes you as the viewer to focus on the fine details of the fish itself. 

You know I should have mentioned what temp I keep this tank set at. It's only 75 so I don't think the ram would approve of the temp

On 6/17/2023 at 4:45 PM, Fish Folk said:

That’s a bit tricky to balance. Maybe an african annual killifish? I have male Nothobranchius guentheri you can try. Let me see here… I’ll make a video for you… 

You pay shipping, I’ll send him. He’s from my own breeding projects here, tank-raised. $20 shipping. I can add stuff to the box too. 

Those a fish that live approx a year correct?

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 1:46 PM, TeeJay said:

You know I should have mentioned what temp I keep this tank set at. It's only 75 so I don't think the ram would approve of the temp

rainbow, barb, sunfish, and something from that family would work at lower temps. Cyrpanidae usually.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

I like the idea of it being around the 2" mark to visually stand out from the rest of the nano fish in the tank. I'm not in a rush to get it persay just trying to find the right for me. They all look great it will be a tough decision.

On 6/17/2023 at 4:27 PM, Lennie said:

Well, if the flow is gentle, and you can take the risk of finding another suitable tank potentially, then my vote goes for an opaque white alicorn betta.

I mean, amazing fish. In my experience with long fin males, I personally haven't observed much quality of life issues myself as long as the flow is very gently. For sure, my plakats are much better swimmers. However, I can't say the same with big ears. I would avoid big ears to be fair. Makes the fish struggle swimming for real.

Here are some examples online, what would be the perfect "unicorn" for the tank. Preferably, without big ears :')

Halfmoon Dumbo Betta Fish Care Guide | Fishkeeping Folks

Unicorn/Alicorn opaque platinum betta ?! | Betta Fish Forum

Opaque Platinum Elephant Ear Betta fish | by... : dolce sostenuto

Yes I feel the flow would be a bit to strong in this situation. I keep a fluval 207 with a spray bar on this tank. Yes it's toned down to about 40-50 percent but still pretty strong for a Betta with long flowing fins.

Bolivian rams even just one male would do fine in a 20 L at 75 degrees. Could easily have a trio of 1:2-3 male:female. 

An Apisto like cacatoides or agasizzi especially one of the Czech varieties like triple red or fire red should work a single male probably they’re too territorial if females are around.

A single Paradise or Pearl gourami would be a great benevolent dictator. 

One or 2 males and 3-4 female Fundolopanchax gardneri killis would do, so many varieties to choose from. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 6:18 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Bolivian rams even just one male would do fine in a 20 L at 75 degrees. Could easily have a trio of 1:2-3 male:female. 

An Apisto like cacatoides or agasizzi especially one of the Czech varieties like triple red or fire red should work a single male probably they’re too territorial if females are around.

A single Paradise or Pearl gourami would be a great benevolent dictator. 

One or 2 males and 3-4 female Fundolopanchax gardneri killis would do, so many varieties to choose from. 

You know I forgot I have my second girl apisto borelli that was the my pair in there 10 gal love nest I could always move her over there. I think she kinda likes being in the 29 though lol. The rams are awesome fish I have always admired them. And I do love the honey gourami as well. Guess I didn't realize how many choices I could possible have.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/18/2023 at 12:52 AM, Fish Folk said:

Have you ever considered Betta Imbellis?

11270526-4ACC-469E-8EBA-3F873F21D790.jpe

8C0C90F4-D237-4ABF-99E2-4A2829F67C93.jpe

965F023F-2D20-4ECB-8F73-10DB68BEB5C5.jpe

Yes! Very pretty fish.

I also love alien coppers:

Alien Copper Male Betta - Planted Aquaria - Bring Nature Home

Alien Betta Copper Hybrid | Rare Bettas – BWAquatics

Pair Hybrid Alien Copper Live Betta Fish Super Premium Grade AAA # 136 137  | eBay | Aquarium fish for sale, Live aquarium fish, Fish for sale

Wild Betta Alien Copper High quality Male – FranksBettas Genetics – Franks  Bettas

these type of dragon/armor scales can be problematic so choose carefully if you go for it. Check eyes and behavior for any notable blindness, as they are more prone to it, a far as I know. 

• Love 3

My vote here is either a very nice bristlenose pleco, or a Koi or Red-colored betta. I’d suggest a shortfinned variety, as while longfins don’t normally impact quality of life, almost every fish in my experience becomes a fin nipper when they see the fins. They would constrast nicely with your stocking and love all the room. A BN might be pushing it in that tank, but they come in beautiful colors (Lemon-blue eye, Super Red would be good choices for this tank) and get along with just about anything.

Edited by Lavender
  • Like 1