If you were to explain light intensity according to percentage setting…

If you were to categorize Aquarium Coops light intensity according to the percentage setting, what would it be? I'm just trying to get some ideas so I can explain it to someone. Like what percentage would you consider to be “low”? I know the mileage can vary, but I wanted to see how close I am to the right track. Thank you for your input. 

Edited by Root
Typo

On 6/15/2023 at 6:48 PM, Root said:

If you were to categorize Aquarium Coops light intensity according to the percentage setting, what would it be? I'm just trying to get some ideas so I can explain it to someone. Like what percentage would you consider to be “low”? I know the mileage can vary, but I wanted to see how close I am to the right track. Thank you for your input. 

I would essentially categorize things like this:  You have three factors at play here for any tank with any light: refraction, power, and quantity.

Refraction:  How effective does the light energy work when trying tor reach the plants themselves.

Power:  How "strong" and "intense" are the LEDs in the light.  This is normally reported out as your light PAR or your spec on the particular LED used to produce that light.

Quantity:  How many of said LEDs are there.  How many red vs. blue vs. green vs. cool white vs. warm white vs. etc...... and how do those are impact what you are trying to do.  The real context here is when someone says something like "turn off all the blues" because if you have 100 blue LEDs, yeah that matters a lot more than if you have one LED set to 5%.

I am sure there is some sort of a formula you can tie those three design parameters into in order to get a certain value on the spectrum for low, medium, or high light categories.  Having X amount of LEDs in a certain power range would give you a value, and then using that against something like tank height and light mounting setup would then give you further detail on how effective that light is at getting to the plants.

On 6/17/2023 at 9:26 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

We would need par information to answer this question.

Cory did make a video on this.

Edited by nabokovfan87
added video link
  • Thanks 1