Aqueon Tank started Leaking!

Mark C.

So this evening I was heading to bed and as I walked by my 29 Gallon Aqueon tank, I noticed a puddle on our wood floor. I then realized that water was gushing from one of the bottom corner behind that black plastic. I have never had this happen before. We have had that tank for just over a year. Got it April 29th of last year. We relocated the smaller fish, 6 Cardinal Tetras, 3 Harlequin Rasboras and 2 Otos to my son's 10 gallon tank and put our Angel Fish in a small betta tank for the night. I put an air stone in the little tank with the Angel.

I have ordered a replacement tank from Petco that I will be able to pick up in the morning but I am nervous about getting the same tank and if this happens again. I am also nervous about filling the new tank and putting the fish back into a non-cycled tank. But I have the old tank so I will replace all the rocks and the driftwood, and I still have some water in the filter with the same media. 

Will having these old rocks and items help it cycle faster? I'm only really concerned about my Angel fish. The others.....meh!

Thanks!

• Sad 1

I only have a small amount of the water that came out of the tank. The tank itself still has some water in it that should keep the substrate wet overnight I would think. I have the piece of driftwood in a bucket but it doesn’t have any of the tank water in it. Should I put it in regular treated water?

On 6/11/2023 at 7:44 PM, Mark C. said:

So this evening I was heading to bed and as I walked by my 29 Gallon Aqueon tank, I noticed a puddle on our wood floor. I then realized that water was gushing from one of the bottom corner behind that black plastic. I have never had this happen before. We have had that tank for just over a year. Got it April 29th of last year. We relocated the smaller fish, 6 Cardinal Tetras, 3 Harlequin Rasboras and 2 Otos to my son's 10 gallon tank and put our Angel Fish in a small betta tank for the night. I put an air stone in the little tank with the Angel.

Record a video and/or take a bunch of photos, especially of the stand.  If the tank failed it may be a setup issue.  If the stand got soaked, you may need (at the very least) a new top for that stand.  It's a dicey situation and there's a variety of reasons for tanks to fail.    That being said, apart from replacement, step 1 is to get aqueon on the phone!  I can speak to their great technical support via the phone and there is a warranty associated with your tank.  Record and document what you can in the event that you need it.  I would check the tank level on the stand as well as document any assembly discrepancies you see on the black trim, silicone, or glass.  Once you have the tank off verify again the level on the stand itself to check for any twisting that may have caused any issues.  Another thing I try to be extremely conscious of is leaning on the tank causing any sort of issues with the center braces or trims.  Less of an issue with a 29, but just something to keep in mind moving forward. 

I am very, very sorry this happened and I hope any setup issues we (or aqueon) can help figure out with you.

Caveat aside, I am right there with you in terms of that 29G tank being a bit intimidating.  That glass deflects a good amount.  I would recommend a 20L because that tank will bow less on you and be slightly less weight, but the stand and footprint of the tank is exactly the same.  It is simply a lower height tank.  My plan personally was to do this with one of my own tanks.  Maybe it is time to upgrade to that 40B which has a bit thicker glass and slightly better build quality? I do believe the sale is still going on, but that would only make sense if your stand is no longer usable.

Emergency situation though, right now is to drain the tank, start to dry things out and get the fish into a situation where there isn't any further issues.  It sounds like you've got all of that sorted out.  You can toss the filter and a few fish into a 5G bucket and keep it running via air or toss any ceramic or other media into another tank and just let it hang out.  Again, I think you have all of that sorted out!

On 6/11/2023 at 8:55 PM, Mark C. said:

I have the piece of driftwood in a bucket but it doesn’t have any of the tank water in it. Should I put it in regular treated water?

It is fine to let the wood sit.  Substrate and wood you can move and do what need be.  Both can sit in a bucket for the time being until everything else is fixed.

I have ordered a replacement tank from Petco that I will be able to pick up in the morning but I am nervous about getting the same tank and if this happens again. I am also nervous about filling the new tank and putting the fish back into a non-cycled tank. But I have the old tank so I will replace all the rocks and the driftwood, and I still have some water in the filter with the same media. 

Will having these old rocks and items help it cycle faster? I'm only really concerned about my Angel fish. The others.....meh!

Depending on the type of rocks (lava rocks yes, others not so much) it would help the cycle.  The new tank I wouldn't be too concerned with.  Day 1 you can add the angel solo and then cycle the tank.  Keep an eye on everything of course.  The best thing would be to dose in your bacteria starter (I've used them all, I prefer seachem stability) and then go ahead and get through at least 7-10 days without adding anything further apart from the one fish.  Get your filter back into the tank, your substrate, rocks, wood, and just run it as if everything was fine.  *with the caveat above about setup being the main concern*

29 Gallon Aqueon tank,

aqueon-warranty-information_june2020.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks @nabokovfan87 You were always so helpful when I went through all of my struggles when I first got my tanks going. 
I didn’t take any pictures or anything. I was panicked because we have hard wood floors. I didn’t even think about putting the fish in a bucket instead of into another tank. 
I have the tank on a piece of furniture that is very flat. I looked at that tonight after I read that an unlevel surface could cause a seal to fail. But I put a level on it tonight, with the tank off of it, and it is very flat. There may be like a 32nd or so of space in the middle but very slight. Now, I don’t think it bows with the tank on it but I’m not 100% sure. But it lasted a little over a year with that setup. Could it just have been a faulty tank?

I plan to call Aqueon in the morning. They were closed tonight when this all went down. I’m hoping they will do something even though I can’t wait on them to get another tank but the replacement 29 by itself is only $40 at Petco right now. I thought about changing the tank because I am Leary of getting another Aqueon tank but it’s more cost efficient right now to just replace the tank since I have all the other accessories for it. 

The stand top that it was off is sealed so it should be fine. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2023 at 9:34 PM, Mark C. said:

Now, I don’t think it bows with the tank on it but I’m not 100% sure. But it lasted a little over a year with that setup. Could it just have been a faulty tank?

Absolutely!  Do you see any weirdness or feel the silicone on the bottom separating from the glass?  Was there any crack or failure on the rim?

Keep in mind these tanks are potentially fine, but the care at the local store may not be.  Damage happens, unfortunately.  Last time I went to get a tank it had a big deep scratch from a key or something.... a customer or employee walking by. 

The main thing is to not have twisting.  A lean front to back or left to right is fine and acceptable, but not both.  There is a King of DIY video where he found a pebble under his tank mat, which came off his shoe when setting up the tank.  It was in just the right place (right below the rim) to cause the tank to explode after a few weeks under load.

If you aren't, maybe add a rubber (yoga mat works) under the tank just for the sake of doing so to act as a cushion.  It will also protect the stand from any drips over time.  Some people cut the mats to the tank itself, I cut mine to the top face dimensions of the stand. 

On 6/11/2023 at 9:34 PM, Mark C. said:

I thought about changing the tank because I am Leary of getting another Aqueon tank but it’s more cost efficient right now to just replace the tank since I have all the other accessories for it. 

I wouldn't be. I would verify all the seems are good on the new tank.  The 29G lid will fit a 20L, same thing with your filtration and other stuff.  I only mention it as a means to decrease deflection of the glass if that is a major concern for you moving forward.  I understand your sentiment though about not wanting to replace it with anything larger in size, your setup sounds perfectly fine to me!

On 6/12/2023 at 12:59 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Absolutely!  Do you see any weirdness or feel the silicone on the bottom separating from the glass?  Was there any crack or failure on the rim?

I have not looked at the tank yet. It was dark when it all started so I have the tank sitting on my front porch with the substrate still in it until tomorrow. I will try to inspect it tomorrow and see if I can see anything. I know the tank was a little unlevel because the water on one side was slightly higher but not by much. But I never noticed it was off from the front to back. Before I set the new one up tomorrow I will make sure it's level all four ways.

On 6/12/2023 at 12:59 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

If you aren't, maybe add a rubber (yoga mat works) under the tank just for the sake of doing so to act as a cushion.  It will also protect the stand from any drips over time.  Some people cut the mats to the tank itself, I cut mine to the top face dimensions of the stand. 

What do you mean with the yoga mat? You started that sentence with "If you aren't" Maybe I missed it but if I'm not what?

On 6/11/2023 at 10:31 PM, Mark C. said:

What do you mean with the yoga mat? You started that sentence with "If you aren't" Maybe I missed it but if I'm not what?

I'm sorry, I am sure there was a full thought there!  If you aren't concerned with the stand, which I think we both agree you aren't and it shouldn't have caused any issues.  If you aren't concerned with having a 29G in that spot again, then maybe a pad would give you some piece of mind!  (circle which ever applies) 😂

On 6/11/2023 at 10:31 PM, Mark C. said:
On 6/11/2023 at 9:59 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I have not looked at the tank yet. It was dark when it all started so I have the tank sitting on my front porch with the substrate still in it until tomorrow. I will try to inspect it tomorrow and see if I can see anything. I know the tank was a little unlevel because the water on one side was slightly higher but not by much. But I never noticed it was off from the front to back. Before I set the new one up tomorrow I will make sure it's level all four ways.

Check the stand itself... then worry about what goes on it.  I tend to check the stand, tank on stand, tank on stand 1/2 full, then tank full.  The weight can definitely shift things on you.

On 6/12/2023 at 1:35 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'm sorry, I am sure there was a full thought there!  If you aren't concerned with the stand, which I think we both agree you aren't and it shouldn't have caused any issues.  If you aren't concerned with having a 29G in that spot again, then maybe a pad would give you some piece of mind!  (circle which ever applies) 😂

Not sure the rubber mat will give me piece of mind. I have never had the concern of a tank leaking but now I will always be worried about it. Will the rubber mat just help level it out if it is a little off?

On 6/11/2023 at 10:40 PM, Mark C. said:

I have never had the concern of a tank leaking but now I will always be worried about it. Will the rubber mat just help level it out if it is a little off?

Exactly.  It's just a cushion, not meant to do a ton, but if there is any sort of unevenness on the top of the stand it would help to absorb some of that.

I just took a level to the stand again. There is a bow in the center of front to back. I would say it's somewhere between an eighth and a quarter of an inch. That may have put pressure on the bottom center of the tank and overtime may have caused that issue. I guess I better find a new stand ugh. My time is just so limited now because I have to try to save the fish.

On 6/11/2023 at 10:54 PM, Mark C. said:

I guess I better find a new stand ugh. My time is just so limited now because I have to try to save the fish.

No, the fish are fine!!! I think the only "rush" is the angel with the betta, things might get nippy if the angel is older.  If there's any issues, just move the angel to a bucket with a sponge filter for as long as need be. (the bucket is tall, good for the angel)

On 6/12/2023 at 1:56 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

No, the fish are fine!!! I think the only "rush" is the angel with the betta, things might get nippy if the angel is older.  If there's any issues, just move the angel to a bucket with a sponge filter for as long as need be. (the bucket is tall, good for the angel)

I have the Angel is a small Betta tank by itself. Not with any other fish. I didn't want to put her in my son's 10 gallon with everyone else. The problem I'm having now is finding a stand that's in stock somewhere.

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2023 at 11:55 PM, Mark C. said:

@nabokovfan87 do you think if I put the yoga mat under the tank is would absorb that bow in the middle of the stand?

Not that much. No.  The mats are only going to be a few mm thick. 

On 6/11/2023 at 11:10 PM, Mark C. said:

What kind of stands do you use @nabokovfan87?

I use the metal and wood store brand ones.   (I sent you details in DM)

All of mine are just big box store ones though.