Hair/thread algae issues

I've got a 75 gallon planted tank, set up about for about 4 months with moderate stocking. I'm running moderate Co2, have two two Finnex 24/7 lights, dosing Easy Green and Easy Iron twice a week. Monthly 30% water changes. Co-op test strips read ~50 nitrates, ~150 ppm hardness, 0 buffer, 6.4 ph. I tried cutting back on the ferts to combat the hair algae (and some bba) but then started seeing nutrient deficiencies in some of the plants. Went back to the pump per gallon twice a week, the plants responding but the green hair algae is booming. I've got some otocinclus, a couple plecos, and nerites but as you know they're not into thread/hair algae.

I know the tank is young and not seasoned yet. Wondering if I need to tailor the fertilization with something other than Easy Green- like for example maybe I've got plenty of nitrogen and/or phosphates but low on other/micronutrients? 

You will never starve algae, only kill your plants and feed the algae. You should increase water changes and dose appropriately. Running CO2 at "moderate" levels probably means too low. I would increase CO2 to 25 to 30ppm and will most likely need to increase fertilization. 50ppm is unnecessarily high. You could also lower light intensity until you get things under control. 

A true 50% water change is where I'd begin.

• Like 1

As a follow-up, I'm thinking that ph may/also be an issue. There's a large piece of driftwood, and the ph is considerably lower than the tap water. And also addressing that will be the weekly 50% water changes which I've started.

Whenever someone has BBA I always ask if they are dosing Iron. 😄  I say cut the Iron back to once a week but keep the other ferts steady and see how that looks after 3ish weeks.  As someone else said raising CO2 might actually help.

You can also spot treat with Peroxide, Excel, Easy Carbon, etc and get some Algae eaters will take care of the rest.

Edit: Do you have lots of red plants?  You can get plants red without dosing extra Iron.  EG already has some Iron so you may not have enough plants actully using all that Iron.  

Edited by hawgs911

With your relatively low pH you shouldn't need to be dosing iron at all.  There should be enough in the Easy Green.

Other than that, I've had good luck battling hair algae by reducing light (mine are four hours on starting at 10:00 am, four hours off, and then four hours on, ending at 10:00 pm, and repeat the next day), keeping up with weekly 25% water changes, and keeping my plants healthy with semi-regular fertilizing.