Plant suggestions

Hello, I’m looking for some plant suggestions for a 29 gal. It has some fluval stratum in it that I pushed to the back with some dividers I found on Etsy and I’m going to put some sand in front and maybe over the fluval, haven’t decided yet. For this tank I have 5 pots of different anubias, 5 pots of 3 types of Java ferns, two different stem plants and a fancy twist sword. I’ve honestly had terrible luck with stem plants (none have ever survived me lol) and I’m not sure they’ll survive. I do have a better light on this tank so I’m hoping for the best. I’d like to add in some more root feeders, preferably those that look good in the background or on the sides of the mid ground. I have some random crypts from another tank that I added in, some buce and Java moss on the seiryu stone that are all already in the tank. I also plan on taking the plantlets off a fourth type of Java fern and putting them in this tank. The plants above are being delivered tomorrow but I’m pretty sure they won’t fill in the empty space well (going for a more densely planted look) so I’m going to order more plants soon. As for stocking, this tank will have some neos and amanos along with some snails. Haven’t really decided what else to put in. More specific plant list below for anyone curious

Java Fern Sunrise 

Java Fern Gold Sparkle

Java Fern x3

Hygrophila Angustifolia 

Nomaphila Stricta (Siamensis)

Echinodorus Fancy Twist 

Anubias Congensis

Anubias Nana

Anubias Lanceolata

Anubias Barteri 'Coffeefolia'

Anubias Heterophylla

Sagittaria Subulata

Nymphaea Tiger Lotus

Extras:

Java fern windelov plantlets

crypt wendtti green, brown, and tropica

Red Scorpio and arrogant blue buce

What is your GH and KH in the tank?

Are there any hardscape considerations with regards to plants?

Given that this is a shrimp tank, I would look at something like moss for them to hang out on. I like typed of eleocharis (DHG) or microsword with shrimp also.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 10:42 AM, Ninjoma said:

For background, you could do crypt spiralis. For the sides you could do some type of sword. I think red melon swords are my favorite. 

On 6/5/2023 at 11:01 AM, JettsPapa said:

It sounds like it's going to be pretty full, but you might add some corkscrew val in the back.  It doesn't get as tall as regular jungle val, so is often a better choice for smaller tanks.

Thank you all for the suggestions! Unfortunately, my sword melted as I expected, but the stem plants mostly survived and are thriving. I went with you guys’ suggestion of Val and got some Vallisneria Spiralis Leopard for a bit of color and it’s doing great and giving off runners. I’m currently looking into some bulb plants to fill in a few gaps. Last week I got a Barclaya Longifolia bulb that has just started putting off roots and have a Crinum Thaianum on the way. I’m just testing these out since I haven’t tried bulb plants before and they were in stock when I went to look around. 

On 6/8/2023 at 3:03 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

What is your GH and KH in the tank?

Are there any hardscape considerations with regards to plants?

Given that this is a shrimp tank, I would look at something like moss for them to hang out on. I like typed of eleocharis (DHG) or microsword with shrimp also.

As for GH and KH I’m honestly not sure since I don’t really know how to test these, but I know its hard water in my area (152 PPM). As for moss, there is Java moss and newly added subwassertang in the tank already. I do have some extra rocks laying around, but for the hard scape already in the tank, most of its already covered with various plants. 

• Like 3

On 7/1/2023 at 10:09 AM, KALgxh said:

As for GH and KH I’m honestly not sure since I don’t really know how to test these, but I know its hard water in my area (152 PPM). As for moss, there is Java moss and newly added subwassertang in the tank already. I do have some extra rocks laying around, but for the hard scape already in the tank, most of its already covered with various plants. 

API sells the liquid test kits. They are really easy to use. You just count the drops as you add them to the water sample in the vials one by one.

152 ppm is a good place to start, but just keep in mind that if it's for shrimp you do want to have some ability to monitor it.

The moss and susswassertang sounds great! In my shrimp setup I've added ferns and just place then around the tank with plant weights. That's already  in the plans so that's great.

On 6/4/2023 at 10:27 PM, KALgxh said:

I’ve honestly had terrible luck with stem plants (none have ever survived me lol) and I’m not sure they’ll survive. I do have a better light on this tank so I’m hoping for the best. I’d like to add in some more root feeders, preferably those that look good in the background or on the sides of the mid ground.

Have you ever considered some types of hygrophila, Bacopa, or Starogyne species of plants?  They are stems and depending on your setup can be a little forgiving if you're having major issues with stems. They do have a unique look too, which works well.

The soil is there, so it's just down to light, maintenance, technique, and fertilization!  Hopefully with the support of the plant people here on the forums we can get some stems going a bit better for you!

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2023 at 12:09 PM, KALgxh said:

. . . but I know its hard water in my area (152 PPM). As for moss, there is Java moss and newly added subwassertang in the tank already. I do have some extra rocks laying around, but for the hard scape already in the tank, most of its already covered with various plants. 

Just a heads-up, the subwassertang may dwindle down to where you think it's all dead, but then come back strong (at least that's what happened when I first got it, and I also have hard water).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1